(#80 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-23-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Boring...mundane...isolation...

It seems some people have some very negative views about child-rearing.

Are these the actually mothers using these terms to describe their lives with their children?

I kind of doubt it. The mothers I talk to wouldn't change a thing. Sure it's exhausting, but that doesn't mean it isn't rewarding. Not a mom I know would have traded working or a career for raising their child...being there to see those firsts.
No, of course not. The problems with being a modern mother generally have no bearing on how much they love their children or means they resent having had them. I don't know any mother who blames her kids for the sacrifices that have had to be made for them. It's more the society that foists on them this need to stop being everything else that they are and boil down to this role, which is then looked down upon. Whatever way you look at it, there's a lot of internal conflict. Amongst my age group there's girls who want children and want to be mothers, yet don't see motherhood as it's presented to them as this glowing beacon of aspiration, but something of a minefield with as much loss as gain.