View Single Post
(#23 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-07-2010, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiuchimu View Post
interesting numbers. I am a bet skeptical. I don't know the details of the industry so I leave the door open, but I would think brands like GUCCI distribute directly to the small retail stores not to mention the big chain department stores(why would they let a third party in?) . Anytime there is a thrid party the price goes up.

I thought the tariff on clothes bags etc.. was 10~20%? Did it change?

To answer someone else's question about what this has to do with distancing from U.S. the obvious answer is nothing directly. It is important to the economy of Japan and that is what the whole distancing from U.S. thing ultimately is about, Japanese economic future.
You can be skeptical if you want, but that is how it goes. A department store doesn't want to deal with 1000 different distributors, one for every brand. When you want to sell something new in Japan, (or most places, I would assume) you don't go to the store, but to a distributor. Why would they let a third party in? Because that's how business is done. Gucci has their own stores and offices in Japan, but, again, that's putting money into the Japanese economy, as well. Of all the single brand retail stores I have seen in Japan, all were hiring Japanese staff.