View Single Post
(#54 (permalink))
Old
chiuchimu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-11-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
This one totally lost me too as NTT is basically the phone line company for all of Japan. I don`t know of any that are controlled by US companies... Let alone all outside of Tokyo. NTT is pretty much a government controlled company - the government holds a third of the stock. ALL the phone lines in Japan belong to NTT, but they rent lines out to other companies who are free to offer different plans through them. Commufa, the one we use, is an easy example. They use NTT lines but offer different services through them. Oh, and even Commufa isn`t a US company. It`s KDDI, a Japanese company.
You're right.

Wow, that was embarrassing. this is really weird for me. I'll explain.

A long while back, before cell phones became popular. I saw a Sunday afternoon news discussion program(one of the networks:ABC, CBS or NBC). This was during a flame point in Japanese exports so the discussion(I thought) was about deregulating Japans domestic telephone service so U.S. companies get a fair chance at the market. The opposition from the Japanese side said deregulation would destroy the only phone company centered in Tokyo. American phone companies already control the rest of Japan. That's how I remember the show. It was an interesting topic so I remember it even day. But obviously I got something wrong.

Is there someone who remembers this incident? some time during the 80s to 90s. Since I got it wrong I'll rephrase my question as:

Any info one telephone discussion by U.S. Japan 80~90s
1) something about Japan's only stronghold in tokyo.
2) America in rest of Japan related to telephone services.
Thanks for any help.