View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
Anyways, carrying on, there are a lot of things that only Japan have, a lot of qualities that only the Japanese may exhibit. Things like technology, fashion, music, T.V. shows; a lot of these being discussed pertain to the younger generation. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's not so much of people being naive, but what some of us see could only represent an age group in Japan. But, I'll use the term again, it's of Japan origins, nonetheless. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with going for those, because they're real enough.
One of the interesting things regarding technology though is that I find the use of technology in Japan to be way behind many western countries. Very few of my Japanese friends have a computer with internet connected at home. Of course they use their keitais for internet access but mostly only for social networking stuff. Many of the Japanese staff I've worked with have not been very computer or internet savvy at all.
Banking here seems almost like 20 years behind in terms of using technology. Finding a Japanese bank that has good internet banking systems isn't overly easy. The use of credit and debit cards is still in it's infancy. ATM's still actually close on public holidays!
Japanese offices are often still mostly paper based offices. Many of the computer systems that are used are so old that many modern applications and software can't be used on them. I've still seen many places using DOS systems and dot matrix printers! I know of quite a few large hotels in my area still using written ledgers for reservations rather than any booking software. Many businesses I have had to deal with still require you send faxes rather than email. Hardly any government agencies are interlinked. You have to duplicate changes of any details with every agency.
Anyway point is that as much as Japan is often viewed as some high tech wonderland, in reality in many parts of the country they are barely at what we were back in Australia some 15-20 years ago.