View Single Post
(#44 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-28-2010, 04:37 AM

cranks I've met heaps of Americans holidaying here from Colorado, Utah and numerous other mountain states in the US. I've personally spent a whole winter in Canada in one of the snowiest regions of BC working for a heli-ski company and I can assure you that from others observations and my own experiences of skiing overseas it's pretty hard to beat Hokkaido in terms of consistently good powder snow. Sure occassionaly Colorado or Utah may get slightly drier snow than here but we're only talking about at resorts with nose bleed altitudes like 3000m+. Here you can enjoy similar quality at altitudes of less than 1000m. I could go on and on about why the snow quality here is so good in terms of the average temperatures and the predominant type of snowflakes that fall but trust me, as someone whose greatest passion in life is skiing followed closely by meteorology (my major at university), you'd be hard pressed to find better average quality and quantity snow anywhere in the world than what can be found here in Hokkaido. It's truly an awesome place. And don't just believe all those American resorts claiming to have the best or most snow. Remember most Americans wouldn't even know that Japan has ski resorts!