View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-28-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
cranks I've met heaps of Americans holidaying here from Colorado, Utah and numerous other mountain states in the US. I've personally spent a whole winter in Canada in one of the snowiest regions of BC working for a heli-ski company and I can assure you that from others observations and my own experiences of skiing overseas it's pretty hard to beat Hokkaido in terms of consistently good powder snow. Sure occassionaly Colorado or Utah may get slightly drier snow than here but we're only talking about at resorts with nose bleed altitudes like 3000m+. Here you can enjoy similar quality at altitudes of less than 1000m. I could go on and on about why the snow quality here is so good in terms of the average temperatures and the predominant type of snowflakes that fall but trust me, as someone whose greatest passion in life is skiing followed closely by meteorology (my major at university), you'd be hard pressed to find better average quality and quantity snow anywhere in the world than what can be found here in Hokkaido. It's truly an awesome place. And don't just believe all those American resorts claiming to have the best or most snow. Remember most Americans wouldn't even know that Japan has ski resorts!
Well, I'll be suffocated with too much oxygen if I go anything below 1500m. I thought snow sports are reserved to where no trees grow, i.e. 3000m+

Actually, I have a Japanese friend who goes to Hokkaido every year and yeah to tell the truth, it sounds like a great place. He loved Colorado though. Of course, I took him to the best of the best places. We are going to Whistler this winter. We'll see how he'll like there. I liked that place, they have pretty exciting setup though the snow was pretty disappointing a couple of times I was there. I'm actually more into downhill mountain biking and Whistler is like the mecca of that so I've been there several times, summer and winter. You Aussies have some of the greatest downhill mountain bikers in the world. Unfortunately Japanese mountain biking scene, especially Downhill, isn't very active I heard... Anyway, it sounds like I can have fun in Japan, if I go back I just need to find a job that gives me enough time off so I can screw around, but oh well. I'll find something.

Last edited by cranks : 10-28-2010 at 05:24 AM.