View Single Post
(#60 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
I understand visiting is better first, to experience the country, but what about if you were to say, move cities in your own country. Do you have to visit the city first to see if you like it? And what if you can't afford to visit? You go, you like it, you want to live there, but can't afford to go back again. Loads of hypothetical scenario's can occur. I agree it is wrong to want to live there purely because of Anime and Manga. If anything, it is the other way round for me. Most people are drawn to Japan because of these. Whereas, I was drawn to these because of Japan.
I actually fully agree with you on this. It is better generally to visit a country before moving, but for some people it's just not practical or possible. I disagree with some of the other members so far who have said that one really must visit before living, because although it is admitedly a better option it isn't always for the best.

In regards to Japan in specific it's a very expensive country to visit! I know that most people I know would be using up all their savings to go for simply a holiday, and if they loved it and adored it then going back to live would then take at least an extra year or two to save back up again, and in the meantime they would then have to get a job, find a place to live in their own country, and the commitments and responsibilities as you try and save to go back just pile up, making it harder to leave as you've - by then - settled down where you are :P It's a lot easier to go straight from univerisity to Japan to live, and no it might not be the best option, but the visas don't last forever and neither do job contracts, if - at the end of a year - you did hate it then you could always go back home. Just because you move somewhere doesn't mean you have to live there forever.