View Single Post
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Saradus (Offline)
JF Regular

11-01-2010, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Very true. Although, It seems that the new world people like Americans and Australians are taught to be more optimistic. I had many run-ins with my old manager when I started working in the states. She didn't like me being so "negative" about things where I thought I was making some criticisms out of pure precaution. I've heard some American people complain how they were taught that the future would be rosy and you should be all positive about life but the reality turned out to be much much harsher and dismal. I have never heard of this type of complaints from a Japanese person before. I'm not sure about British people but haven't heard this from a British people either. I was taught that the future WILL BE harsh and I have the complete opposite complaint. They should have taught me that the world is not that bad.
Yeah we british really don't view things through rose-coloured glasses. If anything we are overly realist and cynical! It's a common thing in schools to be told things will only get harder when we leave education! Albeit sometimes half-heartedly by teachers with dark humour (one of my favourite teachers ALWAYS told us how things would get worse in his jokey way)