View Single Post
(#89 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
One thing I remember though is some people particularly mentioned Britain and said British were anti-Japanese in several occasions , and they usually had a pretty critical and sometimes one sided British newspaper article to back it up. My response was that British media criticize everyone and everything, not just Japanese.

I see 10 times more complaints about the culinary art but most of the time it's more of a jest.
Considering some of the things I've heard old people say about Japan, I'm not surprised if some people get the impression that Britain is anti-Japanese. Amongst the younger generations I guess there can be derision towards anime and japanese pop-culture, which might be taken as anti.

*laughs* Well they've got a point about the food to a degree. Some of it is truly terrible. Then again, I used to live in Oxford, and looking at what a lot of tourists i saw eating there were tucking into; cheap pub grub, chain cafe sandwiches and hotel breakfasts. No wonder they come away thinking British food is awful.