View Single Post
(#95 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

11-01-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranks View Post
Yeah, there actually were a lot of things that I found better than the ones in Japan like wine and cheese and bread and malt vinegar on fries, I mean chips, some pies in local pubs, etc, and places like Conran restaurant were very good. It's just there weren't many "English" restaurant where they serve cheap but good meal.
I guess 'English' food is kind of hard to pin down to a clear idea of what it is. I mean, a lot of people abroad think it's a roast beef dinner or fish and chips, which it is, but it's like sushi is to Japan, you only really eat it rarely. But then what's really popular tends to not really be British at all, like pasta and pizza, or curry. And the rest of our usual fare is really too hum-drum or too similar to other western countries to really point out as being specially british. :/ Maybe the cornish pasty. That's pretty banging. I did joke once about going to Japan and setting up パスティ屋。Featuring ダイエットパスティ and 和風パスティ for those who find a full on British meat pie just too much to handle.

But yes. Cheese. I sorely missed proper cheese in Japan. and sausages. I never noticed about the vinegar myself, but one of my Japanese friends said she found it too strong, because in Japan normally the table vinegar was for putting on salads?