View Single Post
(#96 (permalink))
Old
cranks (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post
I guess 'English' food is kind of hard to pin down to a clear idea of what it is. I mean, a lot of people abroad think it's a roast beef dinner or fish and chips, which it is, but it's like sushi is to Japan, you only really eat it rarely. But then what's really popular tends to not really be British at all, like pasta and pizza, or curry. And the rest of our usual fare is really too hum-drum or too similar to other western countries to really point out as being specially british. :/ Maybe the cornish pasty. That's pretty banging. I did joke once about going to Japan and setting up パスティ屋。Featuring ダイエットパスティ and 和風パスティ for those who find a full on British meat pie just too much to handle.

But yes. Cheese. I sorely missed proper cheese in Japan. and sausages. I never noticed about the vinegar myself, but one of my Japanese friends said she found it too strong, because in Japan normally the table vinegar was for putting on salads?
hmm, actually, パスティー屋さん or パイ屋さん may be a good idea. Never seen one in Tokyo before where there are all the kinds of restaurants from Greek to Burmese so that's definitely new, and baking is one area Japanese aren't very good at. Many people don't use or have an oven at home.

Table vinegar is usually for dumplings=餃子 or for Ramen noodles I think. Never used it on salad myself. But it is white vinegar and you never see malt vinegar. Even here in the states, I don't see it that often. mmm now I feel like fresh chips with a lot of malt vinegar on :drool: