View Single Post
(#63 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

11-14-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModusOperandi View Post
This is a new argument all together, but not too far off…It’s all up for grabs, but I have to ask: what happens to the other “qualified” individual with a similar degree who lost to the cheater? The cheater may or may not lose their job in the long run, but damage has already been dealt because of that paper.
In that case, you just have to say and understand that: life is not fair. Because lets face it, it's not only cheaters that will take your place. If they know someone, an uncle, a cousin, a friend etc, they could hire them even if they're not suited for the job. Generally though, maybe I'm being naive, the jobs in which this kinda thing happens, is the jobs that don't need smart people or an education. I've been been hired for a job because I knew the manager. It was a sales assistant job. But I was also not taken for a job at my brothers company. It's his company, but he didn't hire me after an interview and everything because he knew I'd just screw things up!

Edit; I will reply to the rest of your post later. But I'd just like to say that you're underestimating degrees. Most companies know when a degree is worthless, like A-Level social studies or something. In my Math and Physics degree, 40% of students fail, 55% get between 10/20 and 12/20. 4% between 12.1/20 and 14/20. And about 4 people get more.

And it's Experience and degree, because most people are educated in one way or another! What the employer wants to know, is whether they're qualified to do a certain job. I know lots of very smart people. They're very cultured and have knowledge of many things. On paper, I'm smarter than them, and that's just not the case. But most of their knowledge is useless to most employers. I'm educated in certain fields, so even if I'm not as smart as my friends, I can do certain jobs better!

Last edited by noodle : 11-14-2010 at 09:07 AM.