View Single Post
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-03-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am curious if you (or anyone else) think the American government and military thought any differently in the summer of '45. "We can end this war right now, but it is going to change history and how wars are fought forever..."
It is understood that most of the US high command thought the dropping of the a bombs unnecessary as well as many of the scientists behind the Manhattan project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I understand the argument to destroy the Death Stars, and don't disagree, but we are thinking about the loss of innocent life. We cannot accurately guess how many non-military personnel were on DS-1, but I think we can estimate that there were more than zero. A military base does not survive with only military personnel. There need to be cooks, at the least, as well as other off-duty distractions. No one has ever chastised the Rebel Alliance for the mass destruction of the Empire's Death Stars with no discrimination for those that that some were simply innocent individuals at the wrong place at the wrong time. The Battle of Yavin is considered an unconditional victory for the Rebels (as is the Battle of Endor). Should the Rebels have shown more responsibility, or is the fact that the Death Star itself a military target excuse any residual damages?
I can confidently say there were no civilians on DS-1 because of the existence of droids. The original death star was full of them and they were designed to take on all the menial tasks that in todays world get contracted out.

And in answer to the bolded question. Yes. It does excuse it. But again.. the only collateral would have been the slaves that MAY have been on board. (Remember I'm giving you that one as no source that I'm aware of points to slave labour being used in the construction of DS-2. I just assumed it due to the Empire's reputation for using slaves, especially wookies for hard labour.)

termogard had it correct earlier. The destruction of the death star is akin to the destruction of an aircraft carrier or a military base rather than the destruction of a city.

Last edited by Ronin4hire : 01-03-2011 at 10:25 AM.