View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-06-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasomi View Post
There is a lot of people here currently learning Japanese, or who already mastered it. To whoever learned Japanese or other languages, I want to know here why. Why did you started to learn a new language? For work? Under werid circumstances? It exploded in your face? I was when you met someone in particular? Tell me, what happened so that you got any interest in languages?

On my part, I learn languages so I can KNOW. I want to understand the most possible. I started mimicking other languages when I was 3 year old (or so I was told by my mom). I say mimicking because I couldn't say or understand a word I was hearing from the foreign language, but I was actually trying to communicate. The in high school I started learning other alphabet to write in codes to my friends about boys... but before I knew it, I was struck: I wanted to learn Spanish, and Japanese, and Chinese, and several other languages.

What's your story?
I'm still learning Japanese, but currently I'm at a beginner-intermediate level, around a level three proficiency on the old tests (or close to it anyway). I personally began to learn the language because of my intent to move to Japan. I'll hopefully be living and working in Japan around April next year, so it was important to me to learn as much of the language I could before then, because I want to immerse myself in the culture and learn as much as I can from it in my time there, to do that I'll need to talk to the people and read their texts. It'll also help with everyday life there. I guess it began as a necessity, although in time I grew to adore the language and learning it, so I've continued due to enjoyment rather than it being just a chore

It'll also be good for my career. If I eventually pick it up fluently then I can move higher up into new areas, perhaps even get a teaching certificate which will increase my income, and - if I'm good enough - I can move into careers outside of teaching. I do love teaching, but I'm not sure if it's my niche and would like to try new areas, and a second language would really help in exploring new paths and bettering myself.

You say you enjoy languages, have you studied any specific languages? Or do you know any other than your native language? If so how far advanced are you and did you enjoy them? I'm rather curious actually. I've always been fascinated by languages, we did Spanish and French at school, although I don't remember a word, lol! How long did it take for you to get to the level you are now with the languages you studied too?

Oh, I think perhaps you're using the wrong word in your thread title though, 'alibi' completely gave me the wrong idea of what the thread was about, lol.