(#14 (permalink))
Old
Kasomi (Offline)
Languages Addict

Send a message via MSN to Kasomi
01-07-2011, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanny View Post
i said it to everyone. i've met people who also jump around languages like you and others without actually learning one. i know - it's cool to say "hey, i speak in 5 languages" but it doesn't mean you "know" them.

in this case with you. robin commented that you speak 5 languages.
so...... you are self thought in Japanese and i think it's usability probably is non existent specially when you only learn it on your free time. + learning mandarin also on your own. Spanish you were learning when you were a 5 year old child +5th and 6th grade - primitive level at best and you haven't used it since.

so.. in my opinion you speak and know 2 languages - your mother tongue and english.
Okay. Well, you know, I didn't say that I was fluent in those languages, but actually, I can communicate in four languages. Just because I didn't yet master them don't mean that I can't speak them. As you don't know my mastery level, it would be hard to just tell me: "Hey, you probably aren't even able to speak correctly in those languages since you do it in your spare time". Now let me say this: I was able to get to the N4 Japanese level on my own. And, if I must say, this level is supposed to be enough to converse with someone and make yourself understood enough. Oh, and I know that this message sounds pretty harsh, but I must hurry, work in 10. I'm just making my own point responding to yours. And for mandarin, I said I was "learning" still, didn't say that I was speaking it yet. In fact, because of the tones and accents of mandarin, I can actually more read than talk.

And if I may, as for Spanish, it's been 3 years at best I didn't speak it, but I still understand it pretty well. You mixed my story with TalnSG's. Anyways, it depends on everyone's point of view. IT's true that someone who can't express itself without simple conversationnal phrases can't really "speak" a language, but it's not my case.

I find it really interesting to see that so many people here speak more than 2 languages. It's thrilling!

僕は静かな見物人なんだよ。
すべてを見て、聞いているよ。

Sème le vent, récolte la tempête;
Sème le bonheur, tu récolteras l'amour.