View Single Post
(#89 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-14-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
But I don't disagree with your final statement. I think it's funny how you say it's not a judgement or a moral finger point and then say that you're a man for making one choice and a deadbeat making the other.

If during the first stages of pregnancy when a woman can still abort, but she wants to keep the child and he doesn't, I don't think you're less of a man for abandoning the child.

She should be free to make her decision to keep the child if she so wants and live with the consequences (another reason why your analogy doesn't work because it places no responsibility on the woman) and the man should be free to choose whether to support it or not.

Bear in mind once a woman passes the stage in her pregnancy where she cannot abort, THEN I agree that the man is obliged to take care of it .. but up untill then it's fine in my opinion.
When a parent abandons their child, it's called being a deadbeat. It's a socially agreed upon term.

Deadbeat parent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But this is where the fundamental disagreement lies, and where the debate takes place all over the world.

You say it's OK for a man to walk away from a child he doesn't want. The problem is, a child is not a bicycle or an anthill, that won't be affected by the loss of the man. A baby will be. Whether or not it is still in the mother or not doesn't matter.