View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-15-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
Most people here of course have a love for Japan.

But what other Asian countries do you like? Are there any you have visited that you also love?
Maybe there's one(s) that you wish to visit or live/work in for a little while, whether you've been to them or not?
I've been to 7 countries in S. E Asia; they're all pretty unique. The main thing I really came to realize is that Japan is about as 'Asian' as the UK is European. Nominally there are similarities, but there are huge, HUGE differences too so it's hard to compare. Especially to still-developing countries like Indonesia and Laos. And that's not even including central asian countries like India and Uzbekistan which have vastly different cultures to much of the rest of Asia, and each other.

Of the ones I've been to, I (predictably) liked Japan the most. It's where I'm most comfortable traveling. Singapore would be a viable second- even though I didn't get much of a 'feel' of the place, it's fairly westernized in some regards so I think I'd be Ok there. I also really enjoyed Vietnam; I'd happily go back there to travel. Malaysia was also nice, and along with Thailand and China is on my list of places to go and see more of. Actually my trip to China was awful but I'd like to attempt it again. Benefit of the doubt, kind of thing. It's a big country after all.

I'd like to visit Laos, Indonesia and various of the smaller island nations in Micronesia, but I don't think theres anywhere I've never visited that I want to live or work in.