Thread: Re Abortions
View Single Post
(#72 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-17-2011, 01:30 PM

I've always been on the fence with this subject, but based on my beliefs, I fit in with the "pro-choice" side, and just because I'm pro-choice, doesn't mean I'm "pro-abortion". I believe that the parties involved should make the decision on whether or not they should go through with an abortion. I would prefer it if the people didn't, but if they decide to do so, it's their business, not mine. I also can't judge those who do so either, because to for the woman, it's probably not only physical drain, but it has to be mentally and emotionally draining as well. I know for me, I'd rather go the adoption route if ever in the situation, but that's just me.

I only know of one abortion story in my family, and that's my grandmother. When my grandmother became pregnant with her oldest child, she wasn't married. Back in the 1950s, as most might know, it's looked down upon to be an unwed mother. Her mother (my great-grandmother) was urging her to get the abortion. My grandmother was about to go with it, on the table and everything, but at the last moment refused to go through with it.

She ended up going to live with some other relatives. That's something else that was done a lot back then. If you got pregnant, you got "sent away". You leave by yourself, and come back with "cousin", that type of thing. My grandmother had my aunt, but had to put her up for adoption. My grandmother talked about how she always felt terrible that she had given up her oldest (yeah, she did reconcile with her later on when she was in her teens), but it was emotionally draining on her. She used to have bad dreams about it.

Either way, abortion route or the adoption route, both are still emotionally draining situations.