Thread: Re Abortions
View Single Post
(#76 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

01-18-2011, 06:48 AM

I'm not so sure it's because we have become jaded as that would imply that once we did care which I'd also argue is not true. In fact I'd argue that our affluent lifestyles have only been possible due to suffering. Our economies depend on it. The US for instance was only able to rise to such prominence so quickly because of slavery. It's easy to get rich when you don't have to pay workers. The class systems in many western nations like the UK also helped with this. For people to get really rich you generally need others to be remain really poor. To maintain our affluent lifestyles it's not in our best interests to help poor nations improve their lot too much. Anyway again my point is that as we accept so much poverty, needless death and suffering all the time it's just a bit hypocritical to then single out abortion as somehow a bigger issue than say actually helping those who already have been born and are struggling to survive. To me abortion is just such an incredibly minor issue that makes little difference to our societies one way or the other.