View Single Post
(#94 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMisa View Post
No idea what 'hooters' is so I can't comment.
Hooters is a chain of sports bar/restaurants in the US where the waitresses wear white tank-tops and short shorts. They are all ages and are known for their fried chicken wings.

Quote:
If prostitution is legal then I just find it distasteful, nothing more. In most developed countries it's not.

As far as I'm aware, most forms of prostitution in Japan are not legal, but at the same time not prosecuted. So therefore there are issues with the rights of the women.
I am going to speak on the global level. I totally agree with finding prostitution distasteful. It is not my cup of tea, either.

That being said, if women are not being prosecuted for illegal prostitution in Japan, how is that an "issue with the rights of women"?

Quote:
Stippers/models etc are arguably performance arts and these are not illegal, therefore there are rules in place, just as any workplace to maintain the safety of the women.
Legality and morality are two different things. Are you saying you support stripping and modeling, but not prostitution because it is illegal, where stripping and modeling are not? I am not trying to be difficult, but am trying to understand the argument.
Prostitution in general

Quote:
As a feminist I believe women should have the choice to know what's empowering, so even though I personally find such things distasteful, some women find it empowering and I have no problem with that.

Prostitution, however, is a dirty game. It's not something that empowers women. I can tell you right now that 90% of the people prostituting themselves would probably take another available option if they could. If they had been given the right opportunities - if they hadn't gone down the path that requires the money. Prostitution is not the same as regulated sexual entertainment. If you think the majority of women on the streets are empowered by this, then think again. Maybe it's because as a women you are not 'in-tune' with how women generally feel about their bodies being used in this way.
I am sure this is probably true, and is a good point. I think it is hard to say a prostitute probably feels "empowered". At the same time, what jobs do make a person feel "empowered"?

Quote:
Other people who do dangerous jobs, will at the end of it, usually have pride in their work. Prostitutes will never have that. Also, people will work in these jobs will still have the training, the safety equipment etc to help maintain safety. Prostitution has no-one to help you.
I have never been a prostitute, but I have seen the "Bunny Ranch" documentaries on TV (in Nevada state, where there is legal prostitution in the US) and the women there definitely take pride in their work. The risk factor, I agree, is still there.

Quote:
If you think it's fine to ignore the safety of these women and not at least try to give them the opportunities they might want or deserve, then that's pretty sad.
I don't think anyone is trying to deny anyone any real opportunity.

Quote:
Also, nobody can be a prostitute forever. It's not a career, and it will ruin any future job prospects should someone find out. They might not care about it at the time, but when they money is running dry because they are old, they will do then. These women are usually young vunerable desperate women - not women who will think about their choices carefully and plan out their futures. So no, it's not a choice, the majority of time it's a forced situation.
This is surely true.

Quote:
Where I'm from, this is just morally wrong. We see men and women as equals and to sexually humiliate, violate and degrade them is seen as wrong (legally or not.) You can argue all you wan't that they are all fine and dandy with it, but they just aren't. Just because you may consent to something doesn't mean it's not exploitative.
I am not sure if this is totally true, and I mean that. I am not sure. Morally, I totally understand. If sex between two consenting adults is humiliation, I am not sure. To be honest, I think the shlub who is paying for sex is more humiliated (in some ways) than the woman who takes his money. Words like "violate" and "degrade" are judgement calls. I don't know what happens behind closed doors.

Last edited by MMM : 01-18-2011 at 06:43 PM.