View Single Post
(#118 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-19-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
Yes and no. I don't completely buy it's just a "safety" precaution, otherwise they'd at least ask to see your passport so they can see your nationality. If STDs didn't exist they'd find some other "praticle" reason to exclude foreigners. From what I hear there are still a lot of bars/clubs/restaurants that don't take gaijin. What are they afraid of?
Who is going to show ID at a brothel?

And the reason some bars don't allow foreigners is because foreigners won't quietly say "OK" when handed a 200,000 yen bill for a few cocktails. They'll make a fuss. Trust me, any place that says "No Foreigners Allowed" is not a place you want to be messing around with. "No Foreigners Allowed" = "Ripoff Artist At Work".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbine View Post

I don't know. I have a knack for polite japanese and making friends with bar staff; it's never been a problem for me.
I agree...I have only seen a sign saying "No gaijin" in maybe two places. One of which I know was because of gaijin complaining about the outrageous bill because I was one of those gaijin. We asked the prices before sitting down, and asked more than once to confirm the price on the bill, then when we left the mama had added a several thousand yen to the bill willy-nilly. The next time we were in the building the sign was up.

Last edited by MMM : 01-19-2011 at 02:06 AM.