View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
02-02-2011, 09:34 PM

Though I still find it sad that Japanese and Koreans I know feel they need to use their "English names" when staying the U.S., I finally came to understand it better when the question was reversed.

Their reason for adopting more common western names is to make westerners more comfortable and because some of us have problems pronouncing the names they use at home. I still find it sad that anyone would have to make such an accommodation.

However, after listening to them struggle to pronounce my first name with several sounds not found in the languages of NE Asia, I began to understand. As they pointed out, my sympathy for them might lead me to adopt a name that was more appropriate and easier for most Japanese and Koreans to pronounce if it was to be used daily.

So there are all sorts of valid reason for adopting a "legal alias" when in a foreign country. However, those who do so only because they like the sound, or want to seem to be more a part another culture outside of their own can come across as ridiculous.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.