View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-04-2011, 02:55 AM

I enjoy street photography, and as I live in Tokyo there are more than
a few things to take pictures of. In most cases Japanese do not like to be photographed, but it's common for foreign tourists to take pictures of everything, so they usually don't say anything.

Getting good street photographs takes some technique. I generally use a smaller rangefinder camera with a quiet shutter, and I use a small aperture with the lens focused to hyperfocal length. In this way I merely have to point and shoot, without bothering to focus. I know at what distances things will be framed and in focus. I don't want people to know I'm photographing them, not because I am afraid of upsetting them, but because I want to catch them in a natural moment.

I never use SLR cameras, they are too noisy and noticeable. I usually carry 2 Leica cameras, a black M4, and a black M6, using a 50mm lens on one and a 35mm lens on the other. If I want a normal perspective I use the 50mm, if I want a wider shot, or need to shoot closer, I use the 35mm. The best all-around street photography camera I have is a Yashica Electro CC. It is smaller and quieter than a Leica, and it has a wide and fast 35mm/f1.8 lens. These Yashicas are a little rare and expensive, but they cost hundreds (or thousands) less than a Leica kit. Yashica CC cameras can sometimes be found on eBay if you are lucky.

I almost always shoot film, digital still can't quite capture the magic (yet).