View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-07-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven View Post
Have you thought about the implications of what you'd be doing? In certain areas of Japan, particularly more rural areas, a person is not just a single person (which is true for all people by what I mean). In the bigger picture, the person is connected to many other people- particularly their family. Suppose a girl goes out on one night stands all willy nilly like and gets pregnant. Suppose she's the oldest daughter, or by whatever circumstances is in line to take the family's house when the time comes. What happens when she gets knocked up and doesn't know who the father is? That is quite a situation to explain to her doctor in order to get the abortion, or to her parents who she'll need to help get out of or get through the situation (which could potentially be a life long "situation"). It makes her kind of a hard sale as far as marriage goes down the line-- so what happens to the house and the family? What do the neighbor's think? Who's gonna take care of the rice fields or vegetable fields? What will the kids teachers think when they get older? Will the kid be looked down upon? Will they get the upbringing that they deserve as a human being? Probably not.

Obviously I'm not putting things in the most eloquent of words, but there can be more to a 'one-night' stand than just a single night. While you as the man might be able to get away with it unscathed (so to speak), you could potentially ruin someone's life (and whose to say they aren't responsible either, though?). It might be something to think about.

I think that because of the way land/houses gets passed down in Japan, some people are really cautious of 'one night stand' types of things. I wonder if that doesn't affect the marriage age phenomenon in Japan-- people have to find a match that coincides with their position in their househould (and they also have more freedom now... so marriages aren't as 'decided' as they used to be. They have to find a good guy who fits the situation). Oldest sons should marry youngest daughters. Oldest daughters (without any brothers) should marry younger sons. Of course, if the family doesn't own a house/rice field/business etc then this kind of think can be less of a worry.
Don't worry Steven. I am fully confident Sitron here is going to strike out anyway. I do not understand why he doesn't just fork the money for a hooker since that is all he cares about. And if he says its because he doesn't want to pay money.. then all I can say is, wow, and cheap-ass and a jerk... good luck. Ladies be sure and keep your pepper spray handy.