View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-23-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
my god columbine you don't half exaggerate.

i used to go for long walks to let off steam. you are writing as if its unusual to get angry.

sport or hard work is a good way to let off steam.
Again, I understand what you're saying, but I think maybe you have missed the point?

It is normal to get angry, depressed, or annoyed. We all experience these things probably on a near-daily basis, but the majority of these people are "normal" - for want of a better word - and can deal with these issues as they arise. You might take a long walk, someone else may write a poem, another person may rant with their friends . . .

The issue arises in problems like bipolar disorder, clinical depression, borderline personality disorder etc., these are people that may turn to unhealthy ways of coping. They might self-harm, grow violent, etc. These people - by their very nature - cannot use the same coping mechanisms as people free from these disorders, because their disorders prevent them from doing so. I think what Columbine is saying is that in these cases suggesting to punch a pillow or scream etc. is not productive, and as these people feel these things often it isn't exaggerating to say it is a severe issue.

I think you have a very valid point, but likewise so does Columbine. There's just perhaps a difference in which people these coping mechanisms are for - your ways of coping are valid, but not so for the individuals Columbine mentions, likewise Columbine's points are valid but perhaps not valid for healthy individuals.

Edit: I'm only making an assumption this is to what you referred, it's hard to be certain without a quote, so forgive me if I'm mistaken

Last edited by RobinMask : 02-23-2011 at 08:03 PM.