View Single Post
(#82 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-06-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
For those who say they wish to go or live in japan, what do you think you will find there?

Some Utopia? Especially since the recent disaster.

I will find/have found exactly what I was thinking: a vacation spot.

I'm too old to change my ways and pack up to move somewhere I can't afford. My medical condition doesn't prevent my moving, it just would make things more difficult. I did have a passing fancy about living there if I were financially well off. That was just a passing fancy, really. I don't have any skills the Japanese would view as necessary for a work visa.

So it's come down to Japan being a tourist destination for me. I try to save as much as I comfortably can so I can make it there every few years. Though the last two trips were only for 10 days in country, I try to see as much as I can. For next year's trip, I want to save up a bit more so I can spend perhaps three weeks there. I despise hot weather, and I've had awfully hot and humid summers there in northern Tohoku even. So when I go, I want to be comfortable. Last October was still too warm for my liking, so I'll go in November. The previous time was in March, so while I was wearing a light jacket (I live in Chicago after all), all the people I saw had winter coats. I have no high expectations of the country, though every day I see something that amazes me, mostly in a positive way.

Perhaps it's an age and maturity thing, but I know my place and my limitations, so I just see Japan as a destination that makes me tranquil while I'm there because I don't have a care in the world. Could I have the same from just about any destination? Perhaps, but one thing I didn't feel there at all was threatened in any way, making that a plus on my book. Crime and violence is not as prevalent as in other countries, so that makes me more at ease.

I try to be a good tourist and obey all the laws and customs I am aware of. I don't make any waves and am as friendly to the native population as I possibly can. I feel if I do that, I'm going to get the best treatment. I know some people won't approach foreigners for whatever reason, but I don't hold it against them. I just treasure and value those who do that much more. I'm not the only one on holiday there, so if I see others, I don't get disgusted or discouraged. I don't freak out if I see another foreigner and treat them like a long friend in a foreign land. If I do hear someone speaking my Spanish (from Spain), I may get closer and ask where they are from. If they live in my hometown, I may have a short "it's a small world!" moment with myself, but that's all.

In summation, I have a healthy view of what to expect and, since I've been there before, quite a realistic one at that.

Last edited by JohnBraden : 04-06-2011 at 06:14 PM.