View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
06-17-2011, 01:07 PM

Evanny, I see your point but I can't say I entirely agree.

For grammatical structures, maybe a non-native speaker will do just fine when having to explain it to someone who's learning the language at a basic/intermediate level, but when it comes to speaking and pronunciation, I believe it is way better for it to be taught by a native speaker. I have had millions of English teachers during my learning stages, both native and non-native, so I know what I'm talking about.

Also, it very much depends on how much the non-native teacher knows. Of course if the teacher is genuinely fluent even if it wasn't originally his first language then it's fine, but I've had the case where I'd be in an English class given by a non-native speaker and I'd pick on mistakes and think gee, I'd do a better job at teaching it. I am in my 3rd year of Uni and have some subjects that are taught in English by non-natives and trust me, I'd much rather have actual English people give the lesson, I am more fluent than they are and I am supposed to be learning from them, instead of having the constant urge to let them know they are mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper
Especially Native Speakers from the UK are awful. There accent is so complicated and out of this world, that I don't understand how some schools want to hire them.
...?

I have had brilliant British teachers. It is so stupid to assume all British teachers are awful cause of their accent.

everything is relative and contradictory ~