View Single Post
(#42 (permalink))
Old
yuriyuri (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Oh not at all Suki. All of my friends from the UK always told me, that they abuse their own language. Thats where I have this from

They actually know that American's speak correct English and they don't!

everyone excused themself about their terrible accent in front of me.
I'm becoming more and more interested as to what this "correct English" that you and your friends speak of is.
I am English and have been living in the south of England for 22 years, and I like to think I am fairly well spoken.
Can you describe what your friends mean when they say they abuse English?
What is it that makes your friends think that Americans speak correct English whereas they themselves don't?

As a side note, I quite like my accent, and most of the other accents in England.
I wonder why your friends think the way they speak is terrible...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyCooper View Post
Well, I am fairly sure that the little Japanese would understand me much, much better than you.

That should answer your question.
I know this was a response to dogsbody70, but you are making too many generalisations.
I have had quite a few Japanese friends over the past few years and some have been able to understand me better when speaking English than those with an American accent, whereas some have had trouble understanding me when compared to an American accent.
Which is why I have to say I agree with Suki about people not hiding their accents.
You just aren't used to listening to other accents in English, that's all.