View Single Post
(#45 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

06-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriyuri View Post
I'm becoming more and more interested as to what this "correct English" that you and your friends speak of is.
I am English and have been living in the south of England for 22 years, and I like to think I am fairly well spoken.
Can you describe what your friends mean when they say they abuse English?
What is it that makes your friends think that Americans speak correct English whereas they themselves don't?

As a side note, I quite like my accent, and most of the other accents in England.
I wonder why your friends think the way they speak is terrible...

I know this was a response to dogsbody70, but you are making too many generalisations.
I have had quite a few Japanese friends over the past few years and some have been able to understand me better when speaking English than those with an American accent, whereas some have had trouble understanding me when compared to an American accent.
Which is why I have to say I agree with Suki about people not hiding their accents.
You just aren't used to listening to other accents in English, that's all.
Oh they don't hate their accent, they just excused themself in front of people who aren't used to it.

That means something must be wrong with the way they talk right?

Americans never felt the need to excuse themself about not-understanable English.