View Single Post
(#163 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-21-2011, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think you are onto something. I do agree that Japanese don't tend to get into heated discussions about religion and politics, but that doesn't mean they are not impassioned or opinionated.

I think the reason is that Japanese people do not feel personally connected to religion or politics the same way people in the West do, as you said.
Not only is it possible to bring up these topics without causing a domestic disturbance, these discussions can also go further and be seen more objectively, allowing for a much healthier perspective.
I really do appreciate this.

Getting someone's true honest opinion is a small reward for having your ear split open by someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
Ok one more question, what about the gerontocracy? A guy living in japan, claims people get better income, according to the time they have been working at the company (he also says there is no other way to get a promotion), the oldest members of the enterprise will always be at the top, whilst the newest will have a lower rank no matter what, furthermore, he also says the only requirement the companies ask for is a college degree, even if it has nothing to do with the activities of the enterprise, since the employees undergo a compulsory training.

P.S. Sorry for my repetitive english, I think I am having language amnesia ~.~
Many of my students are working in jobs completely and utterly unrelated to their major.
My gf was doing programming with an English degree for example.
When it comes to lawyers, doctors, that kind of thing, it's a different story obviously.
The degree gets you the job.
In Japan most companies offer extensive training in the first months of employment, and in bigger companies you hop around in all the departments so it may not be until 6 months at a company until you know what your job (and fate for the rest of your life lol) will be.

Seniority is still a big factor, but Japan is changing.
Speaking of change;
Women are still expected to get married and leave the company, just last night though, there was a story on the news of a boss who said "you're next" to a woman in anticipation that she'd get married and leave the company next. He mean it as a good thing, like I'm sure you can find a nice guy soon. But he got sued for sexual harassment.
Does that sound a little like the 90s in America? It should, Japan is breaking out of it's old fashion male-domination, not very quickly, not very smoothly, but it's happening regardless.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.