View Single Post
(#168 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-21-2011, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
I am confident that I would have issues with any place I move to, and it is not because of the place, but due to my really difficult character and strong personality. I simply know what I like and dislike, and nothing (or nearly nothing) can change it. I cannot really blame the place for that, can I? I am also not shy to speak up my mind, regardless of consequences. If you cannot voice what agrees with you and who you are, you don't exist.

Nonetheless, or perhaps because of its "oddness", Japan is the best place for me to be. The most difficult to understand is the futile struggle with reaching out to Jaopanese poeple, and in matcheting through all those shells and masks of artificial politness. On the other hand, plastic politeness is way better that outright rudeness that I often experience, whenvisiting plaaces like American base in Yokosuka, or interacting with people back in Europe (including my own country, which I find extrememly anoying).

The anonymous life we lead in Japan, has its pros and cons. You can do push ups on the street wearing eye-poking orange spandex, and no one will bother. On the other hand, you may be dying on the sidewalk and people will pass without even looking.

Nausea-causing cuteness, Western kitsch blind fascination, Disneyhell mania, brand brain washing, really dull pop-culture mass-production, and mass-murdering of the beauty of traditional Japanese taste are other factors that put me in a war mode.

I mean how can you forget this:

and go with this instead:

This is a subject river, but despite my ranting and numerous frustrations with Japan, I think it's a great place to be. After all, it is in Japan where I found my soulmate, and discoovered what I want to do with my life (calligraphy). I also met Japanese people that share the same passion and we understand each other through art. Besides, my calligraphy teacher is like a father to me, and him alone would be a good reason for me to stay here.

I am not a type of person that could be any-nation-phile. I simply choose the people to interact with, and don't bother with those who waste my time or bring nothing that I can learn or appreciate, in which capacity, a small talk that starts with 暑いですね!drives me bananas, and makes me instantly want to strangle the person. My teacher comes to mind again. He is posibly one of the most knowledgable people in the field of calligraphy in Kanto region, yet his humblemness and naturalness stuns me every time I meet him. He is the best teacher of dealing with ego issues. At the age of 73 he is more open minded and curious of other cultures than 90% of the kids in Japan. That also teaches me to try to be more understanding and patient towards those who I don't agree with. So here is the irony, I admire a Japanese for teaching me how to stop ranting about the Japanese, and all those things that make me rant about them.

In short, I feel that life in Japan is a great challenge on its own, and difficult enough for me to enjoy it, and settle down here for good.
This is a good post, I like it.
I think people wanting to move to Japan should be expose to information like this.

Perhaps we should delve into "the futile struggle with reaching out to Jaopanese poeple, and in matcheting through all those shells and masks of artificial politness. On the other hand, plastic politeness is way better that outright rudeness".

To me this is probably the most difficult thing to adjust to for people trying to live in Japan, and the way it affects non-friendships.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.