(#219 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-22-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuurui View Post
Well deducted. I am used to use sarcasm with people that get it, and, since we speak in English, I thought that what i said was straight forward enough (even though it was wrappe3d in sarcasm). But no matter, from now on, I will not be sarcastic, I will just barge in and split the head open with a blade of the post's axe. You are splitting hairs, you do know that? You would make a great accountant.
I still don`t think that you are getting the point he is trying to convey.

It isn`t about whether anyone here involved in this discussion would understand or not. It is that there are different ways of communicating. You expect people to understand the sarcasm because you`re speaking in English, and your audience is expected to have a cultural background to make it clear.
People communicating using an indirect Japanese style are also doing the exact same thing - they`re expecting the people they are communicating with will understand exactly what they want to say without writing it on the wall. Just because someone who does not have that background doesn`t "get it", it does not make it dishonest. Those who are accustomed to it will not have any trouble understanding. You cultural background makes you want to have it all said clearly - but that doesn`t mean that there is an actual problem with the Japanese style, especially when between people who both understand it.

Quote:
The Japanese people do understand it, but I think only those who actually lived abroad. Though I agree, that it is not easy for them to "feel it". It is a cultural thing and can't be helped.
You`re contradicting yourself (unless you think of Japanese as something other than human, but I don`t think that`s your intent). They don`t understand it well unless they have been abroad and exposed to it - it simply isn`t present in the culture.

Indirect communication is also a cultural thing, which is not present in a lot of other cultures. How does this make it any more "wrong" than sarcasm?

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 06-23-2011 at 12:07 AM. Reason: typo