(#224 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I feel that Japanese is somewhat crude and lacks the proper vocabulary to express simple ideas, but like you said, sometimes Japanese can express things much more easily than English, I just feel it's not an even balance...
Wow... I just don`t even know what to say to this.
It`s not an even balance because you can`t speak them evenly.

Just because you don`t know the proper vocabulary doesn`t mean it is not there.
There is a tendency to feel that the language you are weaker in is a weaker language. It`s not. It`s your own ability. If you have a limited vocabulary, the entire language is going to seem limited. It has nothing to do with the actual qualities of the language.

I find that Japanese literature is often more expressive than English. You`ll hit this a lot if you compare translations - You need far more text to convey things that are quite short in Japanese... And often it loses an incredible amount of meaning even then.
When it comes to literature, I`ll choose whichever translation (from a third language I do not know) feels better to read - in most cases I find myself choosing the Japanese unless the translation is really poor.

But in the end, I`d really say they`re almost entirely equal. My answer to which is better would change based on what it is I`m referring to, the time of day, or my mood.

And, well, if you just say "Scary" in English, it`s not going to be very exact either. It isn`t as if you cannot distinguish between "I`m scared" and "I`m scary" in Japanese - you just don`t have to if it is clear in context. If you want to be explicit in everything you say, while sounding very odd and like overkill, it is entirely possible.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.