View Single Post
(#27 (permalink))
Old
RealJames (Offline)
ボケ外人

06-25-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
No personal offense intended, but profuse body hair creeps me out. I can`t ever recall finding it anything... good. My husband is really at the top of my tolerance level.

I`ve actually found it easier to get away without much/any makeup in Japan than elsewhere. I have fairly decent and clear skin with no wrinkles or blemishes (probably because I avoid makeup). I am also pretty lucky to have visible eyelashes and eyebrows that don`t have to be primped to look alright. On trips to the US, it seems like there is a tendency to go for visibly gaudy makeup rather than natural stuff. I know there is some gaudy stuff in Japan, but once past a certain age you don`t see it. In the US, there were 40+ year old women with bright and vibrant eye shadow... And it was normal.

With the skirts - I think that skirts in general are far far more common in Japan. Miniskirts are a certain age range, but skirts altogether are much more common here (as are dresses).

I`m definitely not tall - 159cm / 5'3"(I think?) - so have no idea how it feels to tower above people.
I`m chubby by Japanese standards, but average by US standards. :P (Which is kind of a mystery as it certainly doesn`t have to do with diet - i eat the same things as everyone else, and a lot less than my ultra-thin friends. They can suck down enough to feed my whole family in one sitting...)

My MIL (also chubby by Japanese standards - we could share clothes if I didn`t have a larger bust) thought it was hilarious that she was able to shop in the "petit" section on a visit to the US.
No offense taken, until I had more of it I also felt too much body hair was gross. Most of my girlfriends have taken manners into their own hands and shaved or trimmed my chest-forest down lol.

In Canada there's heaps of women who wear no make-up regardless of how beautiful or not they are.
In Japan I get the sense that a woman who shows up to work without make-up has done something rude or untoward.

マンツーマン 英会話 神戸 三宮 リアライズ -James- This is my life and why I know things about Japan.