View Single Post
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Cayla (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-26-2011, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
You said Chubu - why that area unless there is a specific place you want to live near?
As for used vs new - you`ll find that is a BIG DEAL in Japan. Most people do buy new here or build their own house. As a result, houses are usually only built to really last one generation (even if the house isn`t sold, the next generation usually tears it down and rebuilds). An older house also means less earthquake resistance. As a result, you can find old houses for sale at incredibly low prices... No one wants them, and generally consider them a nuisance - something they have to pay to tear down before they can start on their own house.

Unless you are in Japan for the long haul, I don`t really see the point in buying a place. People don`t buy and sell regularly here, so if you buy a place you are not going to have an easy time selling it. People usually don`t move around once they have bought a home.

I will also second the sentiment that it is not really necessary to buy a house... And wouldn`t buy a house in a city myself. Houses tend to have very small lots with little more than a parking space for a "yard", etc.

We ended up buying a very nice condo with a huge (by Japanese standards) yard, very close to downtown Nagoya, for considerably less than a similar house would have been.
I just don't like living in apartments. I live in a house, in a very spaced out quiet neigheorhood. And I want to live the same in Japan too. To me, it just seems easier buying a house is all.