View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
DanteSan (Offline)
New to JF

07-27-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post

What you are doing is like comparing the cost of living in Salt Lake City to the cost of living in New York City. You are not going to find the same type of place for the same type of price.

Everyone seems to look at Tokyo and then compare it to where they live now then gawk at the prices without realizing that if you try to live in New York City (in the case of those from the US) you`re going to be paying just as much. Think about how silly it would sound to say "I did a search on house prices in the US, and it would cost me $2000 to rent a tiny apartment! My house right now (in average sized city) only costs me $800 a month and it has a yard and roofed parking space! Is there nothing more reasonable in the US?" - that is the equivalent, really.

Japan is a lot more than just Tokyo - Just like the US is a lot more than just New York. You can live very reasonably if you don`t insist on living in the biggest metropolitan area in the world.

If you were to live in a metropolitan area comparable to the size of Salt Lake City - Say, Kagoshima - you can find TONS of full out houses for rent for the equivalent of what you are paying or less.
For studio apartments, if you`re not picky you can get something from $150/month.
Guess I left out I realize the prices are different depending on geography, that seems like common sense. I understand the idea of living cost and housing, it's most likely not much different than here. The question was are there places like that in Tokyo, answer is not likely, like living in L.A or New York. Understood. Thanks for the help? Stupid question I guess, like I just said, not much different than here. Apologies.

"In the sky, there is no distinction of east and west; people create distinctions out of their own minds and then believe them to be true."
-Buddha

Last edited by DanteSan : 07-27-2011 at 04:30 AM.