View Single Post
(#88 (permalink))
Old
AoshiShinomori (Offline)
I wuvs Rikku the most! <3

Send a message via MSN to AoshiShinomori
Of Practice and Purpose - 04-11-2007, 10:14 PM

@OL-chan - The photos were wonderful and you're right I did like the last one the best . In point of fact it was the second photo that was too long but no worries it fit into the page

Yep the essay was very long so I just pasted the link so it could be a quick reference for any time later ...aaaand I'm only a good uncle because you're the best neice ever ... So without further ado...

This is my last post here for today, because if I post anything more, people will hit me on the head, stab me with a broadsword or slice me with a katana...actually... all three .

Nevertheless, here is some interesting information about sword types used during the beginning of your training and towards the later end of it. I found it as part of a web conversation. I am completely quoting someone else so all credit goes to them (web user names Jung_yul and Banza Joe):

From Jung_yul:

"Typically, you'll start with either a bokuto or an Iaito, or an unsharpened sword. The Iaito, in some cases, is a good sword in all other respects, but it most likely will not be tempered or forged, and it's got no cutting edge. It does, however, have a sharp tip which one must be mindful of. Shinken, or "real swords" are, to my limited understanding, generally reserved for more experienced Iaidoka... I believe that San Dan is the generally accepted rank for such a thing. In my mind, the only real difference between the two is in their weight... after all, you won't be using either against another blade or for tamashigiri, so blade strength shouldn't be an issue."

From Banza Joe:

"A lot of iai ryu will not practice with shinken until godan, some even less than sandan. Obviously an iaito is developed purely for safe iai practice. They are usually made from a steel alloy and are not sharp. Indeed most are said to be 'unsharpenable'. But whatever, you must NEVER try and cut with an iaito. It is not built for strength, the only thing it should cut, is the air. They are indeed quite a bit lighter than a shinken would be. Most iaitos have a a bo-hi (blood fuller) which adds to the lightness of the blades and gives a nice whoosh when cutting, although you usually have to cut properly to hear the whoosh.
Because iaitos are not used for contact, it should last you forever (ish)."

Omae mo kanjite no ka... kaze no koe?