JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
mercedesjin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Yes. I feel like in a lot of cultures, ageism isn't taken seriously - but it's definitely a problem. Children and teenagers are often taken advantage of and not thought of as human beings by adults. Adults like to believe that, because they're older, they automatically know what's best.

Not true.

I have met plenty of mature people who happen to be younger - mature people who aren't as ignorant as many of the adults I know. It's something that's generally overlooked, I think. But it can become a problem when - for example - a younger student is strip-searched and is forced to take off her underwear.

LOVE: pass it on
(#32 (permalink))
Old
bELyVIS (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Until you are old enough to live on your own and pay your bills, you only have the rights your parents allow. Even after moving out you realize that all the rights listed on paper (The Constitution) mean little unless you are doing what society in general allows you. Rights usually mean nothing unless you are arrested. Criminals have more rights than us law abiding people.

The World's only Belly Dancing Elvis Impersonator!
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Kandierain15 (Offline)
Mizu No Megami♥

08-29-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertherose25 View Post
Alrightie this might seem off topic but I swear it isn't [its just boring!] XD

I'm a few months away from turning 20, and I'm in college now...about two three years ago I was a Junior in High School and I was sexually assaulted in the middle of class by a notorious little perv...many girls had reported him but they were brushed off. When he grabbed me I lost my temper and stabbed him with my pen [it was a light wound unfortunately], guess who got in trouble?

That's right I did.

The teacher moved him and told me to stop being 'over-dramatic' and wouldn't let me leave the class to report him. And refused to let me us my cell phone to call the police, saying she'd take it and she'd report me for assaulting and harming him!

He started texting me explicit messages, right in front of the teacher!

I told my friend what happened and the next day she reported him anonymously and they pulled me out of class to talk to me. At first they were 'blah' and didn't care much, acting like I was female and I asked for it. To make matters worse he was trying to accuse and press charges on me for stabbing him!

I requested I talk to my mother and told her what they were doing and she called the school threatening to report them to the School Board and call the police herself. Grumbling and bitching they FINALLY called the police.

Three cops later they had it all sorted out and they saw the texts and they charged him with sexual assault and he was suspended for a whole week, that's it they didn't arrest him or anything.

A dean then proceeded to suspend me for three days for presenting my cell phone to the police because it was already turned on!

My mother got into a bloody war with the school and at the end of it a Dean was fired, the whole school was retrained to handle sexual assault cases by an extremely angry Victims Advocate of the state [who called and threatened my principal with legal action if he didn't take back the suspension] and a cop [who witnessed the suspension and said he had nothing to do with it] was in deep sh*t.

So yes, I believe I was treated unfairly the girls that he'd assaulted before also stepped forward again and they, once again, blew them off. He plead guilty got a slap on the wrist and a mark on his record and I'm left the "scars".

I'm not the type of woman to take shit laying down no matter how bad it hurts or scares me

I doubt this helps any, but yes I do think teens aren't taken very seriously. If it does help then, yay! Feel free to do whatever you will with it.
ugh. Fifth grade(ok so i wasn't tecnically a teen yet but still...) i had a boy sexually harass me at my school. You know what they did? They COVERED it up so the school's name wouldn't be trashed. The only punishment he got was a detension. One detention. That's completly unfair to me and the other girl he did it to.

Teachers sometimes just want to teach us, (and sometimes they don't even do that right) and be done. They don't realize that school is supposed to be a safe envirement for kids to learn, not an envirement where kids get beat up and harassed. It's wrong and no one deserves that.

8/21/09
(#34 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-29-2009, 12:51 AM

Again there are always two sides to every story.

In my state two boys were arrested and expelled for sexual harassment. That sounds like a fair sentence until you find out the boys were 10 and the sexual harassment was patting two girls on the butt as they ran down the hall, much like a coach does to his players.

Eventually the charges were dropped, and the boys learned an important lesson.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Kandierain15 (Offline)
Mizu No Megami♥

08-29-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

In my state two boys were arrested and expelled for sexual harassment. That sounds like a fair sentence until you find out the boys were 10 and the sexual harassment was patting two girls on the butt as they ran down the hall, much like a coach does to his players.

Ya the guy was about to graduate from eighth grade.... So practically a high schooler. Not really a ten-year old. But trust me, it was much worse than a "Pat on the butt"

8/21/09
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-29-2009, 01:28 AM

I have heard that there are really three sides to a story...Your side, my side and the truth.

Maturity is partly about life experiance and how you apply them, some teens do well at that..but most, haveing few experiances, don't. It's why they are "emmature".
(#37 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

08-30-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post

That's wrong to me.

I cannot see anything wrong with a ten year old boy or girl touching each other on the bum.

We used to experiement big time at school from that age and it was fun on all sides.

I don't think "sexual harrassment" was such a big issue during that time.

Cheers - Oz
(#38 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandierain15 View Post
Ya the guy was about to graduate from eighth grade.... So practically a high schooler. Not really a ten-year old. But trust me, it was much worse than a "Pat on the butt"
My point is "sexual harassment" can be words, a pat on the butt or everything including rape. It is a very vague phrase.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-30-2009, 07:42 PM

It's lawyer double talk, they like useing terms and phrases that are so vague, that you could make them mean anything. Clarity is important when interacting with other people and some of these laws as written, just hinder that.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
thcuteness (Offline)
Banned

09-05-2009, 04:06 AM

Teen Rights

“When you sign up for school you are pretty much giving away your rights while you're there, last year I was told "You're in school, what you think doesn’t matter, I'm the teacher, not you" So, yes, we are stripped of our rights while in school.”
–Quailboy (age 16)

I have decided to take a totally different approach with my report on teen rights and decided to gather other people’s opinion and my own analysis it and generalize it in the best way possible, without making it too stereotypical. To achieve that I didn’t only want my own opinion and other teens but adults as well. Most of you are wondering why I have quoted that statement by Quailboy, my reason for doing this is because I believe most of us teens believe this is how school is and or have heard or have been told something like this before. What thinking about this from a adult point of view isn’t this statement someone what true. While we are in school it’s not what we want, it’s not what matters to us, it’s what the teacher wants. But here another good statement said by another user.
“As a human, you have rights and duties. Same goes to school; the only difference is that the teacher is "your boss". But that doesn't mean he’s superior to you in terms of rights. If you feel that shes being unfair to you, you have the right to reply back. H***l i did that allot!”
-JasonTakesi (age mystery)

This statement is also correct your teacher isn’t superior to you but he or she is “your boss” for about the next 8 hours. But as a human begin you do have the rights if feeling treated unfair or poorly to voice your opinion. But in my own opinion I think people take advantage of that especially us teenagers. I have watched over the past 2 years of my begin in school recently, students ageing with teachers feeling that they are beginning treated unjust. But there a thin line between what is actually unjust and what you simple feel is unfair. Some people don’t feel this way or have any problems at all thought like this user.
“I find it’s mostly who you are dealing with. Like, my parents are old-fashioned, and don't believe that teens should have the same...i dunno, like what the right term would be...i guess its sort of like they don’t believe that what teens say is as important or reliable as what adults say.”
-mangafreak (age unknown)

And with this statement I absolutely agree with most of what people of my own age has no relevance when it comes to politics, economy, and etc. But does that really mean that our opinions are not valuable or valid? Does everything said need to have a deeper substance and a significant understanding? I feel as though we aren’t allowed to speak freely not just at school but anywhere cause, adults feel as thought are opinion are to simple minded not complex and does not carry any reference. But I feel as though I’m a being to stereotypical and generalizing adults as a whole and its not say that all adults feel such way although at time it’s the perception we receive. Like what this user said.
“Yes. I feel like in a lot of cultures, ageism isn't taken seriously - but it's definitely a problem. Children and teenagers are often taken advantage of and not thought of as human beings by adults. Adults like to believe that, because they're older, they automatically know what's best.

Not true.

I have met plenty of mature people who happen to be younger - mature people who aren't as ignorant as many of the adults I know. It's something that's generally overlooked, I think. But it can become a problem when - for example - a younger student is strip-searched and is forced to take off her underwear.”
-Mercedesjin (age 19)

Striped searching in a unlawful violation in my opinion and I think its abused, schools should use warrants although I highly doubt most of them do before conducting a search which is against the law and usually led’s to court. Which to my surprise that these cases don’t make it to the news, is it unimportant that a middle or highschooler teen and pre-teen gets unfair stripped searched for item that he or she does not have? And why are cases like these when teens rights are being demined and violated aren’t cases like these more televised? Do it not matter to society our rights? And what do teachers do when they see students get bullied or treated poorly by another student?
“Some teens get treated unfair for no reason like when I get beat up when the teacher is in the room and they don’t do anything it is wrong that some are treated with respect while others are just mistreated”
-Kyle (age 17)

And I don’t doubt that stuff like this happens often in schools I have heard many stories of student being bullied and beat up in front of teachers and them turning their head in the other direction, but there is always the possibility that a teacher did not notice what was going but they also could have simple not care. I personally feel like some teachers don’t care as long as they aren’t threaten or their name isn’t tarnished. But as said by this user.

“ I have heard that there are really three sides to a story...Your side, my side and the truth.

Maturity is partly about life experience and how you apply them, some teens do well at that..But most, having few experiences, don't. It's why they are "immature".”
-Ryzorian (age unknown)

And with that said that probably how the world is there my story, your story and the truth of fact. With age they say comes wisdom will others are just born wise. Which sometimes seem to be the deciding case in these situations, and most defiantly when it comes to teen rights, that we don’t seem to have many rights do to many reason such as maturity, reasoning, etc. Some adults believe that we have maturity to own rights while others believe we have a lot of growing up to do, that’s the way society will be for awhile unless we attempt to change this and get the respect that most of deserve.

Well i finished my report and here it is