LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-31-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realism View Post
True....but I want to know how the heck I find a company like this? Are there websites where I can apply for such jobs?
If you're very fluent in Japanese, you can attend an event like the Boston Career Forum :
CFN | Boston Career Forum 2010

There are various events like this so look around.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2010, 04:38 AM

Don't know if it's possible for me to get any of those jobs...

I really need something...

So hold on.

Let me get this straight.

In order to work in Tokyo the requirements are that you need to have a FOUR-YEAR DEGREE from a university in YOUR OWN COUNTRY....right?

Are there ANY OTHER Requirements?

Do you need a degree from a college in Japan??

Do you need previous working experience??

Do you need to at least have at least a certain amount of time after graduation (Such as 2 years since graduation)

You just need a degree and a clean criminal record right?
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-05-2010, 04:47 AM

Quote:
It depends on your employer, but when I worked for the Hyogo Ministry of Education, that was all I needed. I was accepted for the job before I had graduated college (but obviously if I hadn't graduated the offer would have been taken away).
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Realism (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2010, 05:38 AM

Ok....but is there an official website that lists all the requirements for the work visa?

Because I've been searching all over google and can't find a list of requirements. It's like a hidden scroll or something.....ridiculous.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-05-2010, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Ok....but is there an official website that lists all the requirements for the work visa?

Because I've been searching all over google and can't find a list of requirements. It's like a hidden scroll or something.....ridiculous.
I am guessing it is because you do not apply for the work visa, your employer does. In a way, the only requirement is to be hired by an employer who can get you a work visa.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
spicytuna (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-05-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
That is the bare requirement for being eligible for a work visa.

Once you're eligible for a work visa, it's up to you to convince your potential employer why they should hire you over a native Japanese citizen.

The obvious advantage you have is your ability to speak English. Hence, the reason why most people take the English teacher route.

If you want to work in the finance field, I'd suggest attending that career forum. Or at least look at the requirements set forth by the hiring companies since they'll be similar to the ones hiring in Japan.

I have several friends in Japan who are working at Goldman Sachs, Citigroup, etc. but they put in their time in N.America before moving onto Japan. They're also near-native in Japanese.