JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Katja (Offline)
New to JF

Privat teaching - What shall I expect? - 06-13-2010, 04:50 PM

Hello everybody!

Right now I am in Japan and I am earning a little money as a waitress at a restaurant. I thought of teaching English as well (I am German native speaker, but it is not really popular here and according to my university my English level is good enough to teach it at least to Japanese).
I already got a privat student and since I did not know what to take for 1 hour, I asked my Japanese friends. All said 2000 yen might be okay.
She said, since I am a starter and learning Japanese right now (heading to 2kyuu recently, and wondering how my Japanese studies influence my English...), she will give me 1500 per hour. But we always meet at a cafe and of course I have to get there. And she only wants to meet 1 hour every week. So in the end I teach for approximately 800 Yen per week.

So my question is:
How much money should I REALLY expect (and how can I tell her that 1 hour a week won't improve her English at all)?

Does anybody know some good websites that are trustworthy and where I may become private teacher for German?

Thank you!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

06-13-2010, 05:58 PM

Unfortunately, it's all about supply and demand, and German isn't seen as much of a commodity compared to English. Your student probably sees it as

A) You're not a native English speaker (which, not matter how good you are, may have some restrictions in Japan)
B) Your Japanese isn't fluent either, so anything that may need serious explanation may not be able to be conveyed properly in Japanese to make the most sense.

She probably sees you as a convenient settlement, because she can still learn some basic English, but for a possible discount.

The good news is, you can always find new clients. As you've already stated, if she only thinks an hour a week is going to do anything significant, then it's time to find someone else.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography
(#3 (permalink))
Old
atheistwithfaith (Offline)
JF Regular

06-14-2010, 04:40 AM

It doesn't pay particularly handsomely. GABA is probably the biggest eikaiwa of its type, and it pays you (the teacher) in hourly wages.

From here: Teaching in Japan : Gaba One to One English : Opportunities for Growth
These are for 40minute lessons (but you will need to put in at least 20minutes of lesson preparation so considor them hourly rates). My friend who worked there was not reimbursed for getting to the offices either, so similar to your situation.

Starting teacher: 1500 yen any time
Mid-experience teacher: 1900 yen peak times / 1500 yen off-peak
Top-level: 2200 yen peak times / 1600 yen off peak

One thing to take into account is that that is what YOU are paid at GABA, not what the client is paying. So I would say that being paid any less than 1500 yen by your client is a bit of a rip off as it would cost them 3000 yen + elsewhere.

Most working Japanese taking one-on-one lessons only have a lesson once a week, so she perhaps wont be receptive to your suggestion that she needs to spend more time (and money) with you each week.

Last edited by atheistwithfaith : 06-14-2010 at 04:45 AM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-16-2010, 02:28 PM

The going rate for one-on-one private lessons is 3000 yen per hour. Anything less than that is not worth the trouble, considering the hour itself, and the time spent getting to and from the meeting place.

Most conversation schools will charge about 3000 yen per hour to students, but they charge as much as 5000 yen per hour for private lessons.

Even if your your English is not first rate (you should see Japanese "English" teachers who work in the schools), you should accept no less than 2000 yen per hour. Let your student try to find someone who accepts less than that, there won't be anyone who does.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
RickOShay (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-17-2010, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
The going rate for one-on-one private lessons is 3000 yen per hour. Anything less than that is not worth the trouble, considering the hour itself, and the time spent getting to and from the meeting place.

Most conversation schools will charge about 3000 yen per hour to students, but they charge as much as 5000 yen per hour for private lessons.

Even if your your English is not first rate (you should see Japanese "English" teachers who work in the schools), you should accept no less than 2000 yen per hour. Let your student try to find someone who accepts less than that, there won't be anyone who does.
I agree. When I was at uni here one of the German exchange students I lived with had a gig for 2000 yen an hour. I think that was a fair compromise for not being a native speaker, but kind of silly since he, and most of the Germans I met, have near native English levels, and even if their English is not that good it probably most certainly tops the majority of Japanese high school/junior high English teacher levels.

Katja, if you are a student here have you looked into whether or not your uni has a German program? Perhaps you could find some students willing to pay you for tutoring sessions?

In any case I would accept no less than 1500 yen per hour, and that is without travel fees. If you gotta pay to get to them, tell them to come to you, or ask for extra money to pay for the travel expenses.

I typically will charge 2500 yen just because many students come to my apartment, and I just sit there and shoot the shit with them for an hour. Basically I would feel bad charging much more since I do not do anything to prepare half the time, and usually have a good time just talking to them.