JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-24-2010, 10:07 AM

(This was moved from another thread, and an almost unrelated post was quoted. I have removed the quote, but felt this was a good topic for discussion so have given it a thread all for itself. - Nyororin)

ACTUALLY-- reading the above makes me wonder of the attraction for youngsters for Japan.

Why do they want to go there? what illusions of the place do they have?

So much through the ANIME and manga---------what do they actually believe it is like to live in JAPAN. what is its charm, Mystery, Marvels that attracts them so?

The reality of living there surely would soon disillusion them.

I have been reading a lot of books but more to do with the society-- every day living. I love my japanese friend here in UK-- I became interested in Japan and its people because of HER. Trying to understand her ways.

I am keen to learn about its art and history and culture-- good and bad. It is doubtful that I can make it to Japan-- I would love to see its countryside most of all. I cannot walk well-- so uncertain if I could sightsee as I would like to.

I guess to many of us its a land of mystery-- and contradictions.

WHat really is the magnet that attracts people to want to live in Japan?

Last edited by Nyororin : 10-24-2010 at 01:19 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-24-2010, 01:38 PM

I personally think that a lot of it has to do with difference. A lot of people feel unhappy with their place in life (particularly when young and without real freedom to do what they want) and blame this on their surroundings... Surroundings move up to country and culture - and develops into a belief that the root of unhappiness lies in where they are instead of personal life experiences, life choices, etc.

Japan is immeasurably different, but yet still within a sort of "safety zone" - ie. it is not a dangerous place, it is a first world country with modern technology, it is well known, etc. Link this in to it being the home of something enjoyed - such as anime, manga, etc - and not only does it come to look like the solution to life`s woes, but also somewhere offering the freedom to do all those things that they find enjoyable.

I think a lot of this putters out when older not because of disillusionment about Japan, but more because of the addition of experience in real life. Living on your own can very quickly change your perspective on life. Instead of it being oppressive parents and figures of authority, it is your own abilities that shape your path in life. I think the realization that even in another country, you are still going to have to be the one to feed, clothe, and provide shelter for yourself cuts down on the desire to just up and move to an unknown place. When younger, even if those things do come to mind, it is nearly impossible to know the reality while being supported by someone else.

Quite a long time ago, I had several people (all high school age, and one at a time) come to stay with me because they wanted desperately to move to Japan. The shock of not suddenly being completely free to do anything they wanted, to not have freedom from any and all responsibilities, to still have the same stresses and worries, etc, seemed to come as a MUCH larger shock to them than anything to do with Japan itself. Japan had, somewhere along the line, turned into the embodiment of everything they didn`t have at home. The reality of it being another place with responsibilities and rules, and that just being here didn`t remove the stresses and unhappiness they felt for some aspect of life was the biggest shock.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Rakutenka (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-24-2010, 01:40 PM

Well....I think it's a lot!!
Germany and Japan are alike in some ways...for example...
...but there are still a lot of socio-cultural differences, that attract me!

The outward appearance might be another hint:

Those beautiful small eyes, just everything.
Religious differences..

aww....

Especially the artistic buildings I like, historical things, etc.
(samurai for example, shogun, etc..geisha!! ..etc.)
^--^

Although some might really be caught in their own world of fiction, thinking you can cosplay everywhere in japan, and every japanese person LOVES manga and anime....

This is a REAL illusion.
There are certain places for cosplay, and regions where cosplay is definitely not allowed and unliked...

Anime/Manga....we all should know that "otaku" is meant in a negative way in japan. Not a title of honor and glory <3

Prussia is like a new cardigan: scrapes a bit but keeps you warm.

Each man to his own.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)

10-24-2010, 02:02 PM

I can fully understand people being fascinated with Japan. It's a fascinating place. I can fully understand people wanting to come on a holiday to see some of the wonderful places here. What I do struggle with is some of the passionate longing of some of the people on this forum to come live here when they have never been here previously and really have very little idea about what it's like to live in Japan. They seem to have some rather incredibly naive views that Japan is some sort utopian society. It's somewhat irrational and I can't help but think it stems from some serious unhappiness they have living in their own society. As though here they would magically find a happier existence. Well maybe they would....I don't know.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-24-2010, 02:07 PM

completely agree, should at least visit the country you claim to want to live in. As for me I currently want to visit japan but I'm learning japanese language to converse with japanese people all over the world...not just in japan but certainly I hope my studies take me there some day but not because I want to live there forever or anything just because there is alot of places I want to visit.

Suppose I'm 20 now...can I still be considered a teenager?
(#6 (permalink))
Old
JamboP26 (Offline)
日本オタク

Send a message via MSN to JamboP26
10-24-2010, 02:20 PM

As a young person, perhaps some some opinion from the 'horse's mouth' might help. I want to live in Japan for many reasons. Now, before I begin, I make clear that not all young people will have the same reasons. But for me, the experience of living in the UK as a teen has been a frustrating one. I am easily annoyed by phone helplines, & their lack of help. I am annoyed at government schemes f***ing things up. I am annoyed by the British public. I am annoyed at the state that some residential area's are left in, & the amount of society's scum that wander about. I feel I don't fit here. My mind & personality is different from the norm here. Don't get me wrong, I will miss a number of things here, but I see too many negatives to stay after uni. Why Japan though? It's simple. I love Japan, & from what I've watched, seen, read etc., I feel I would fit well with the culture & customs. Its not all about being in 'the anime capital' or whatever. I feel it's deeper than that, & after uni, hope to make this happen

I'm a Cafe-kko, Nyappy in the World. But GazeRock is not dead. 「Sixth Gun」です

An Cafe, Vidoll, Versailles, Dir En Grey, Deathgaze, the GazettE, alice nine., UVERworld, Kiryu , YUI, AKB48, Buono!, Berryz Koubou, C-ute, S/mileage, Morning Musume, Zoro, Lolita23Q, Visual Kei, Oshare Kei, J-Rock, J-Pop, Idol groups FTW (≧∀≦)
(#7 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
10-24-2010, 02:46 PM

@Jambo I complete agree.

I think it's not wrong to say anime/manga have drawn many youngsters to Japan. Being one of the most popular Japan-originated aspects, Japan probably owes that aspect many young fans. I also believe that some light of Japan's culture and language has been shed via anime/manga. Not the full picture, but an incredibly small portion of it, as have any other popular American cartoon shed on their country. I'm not sure about others, but it is a fact that through all these, have the true Japan been slowly unveiled to me. I mightn't have taken up Japanese or even joined this forum, if it weren't for anime.

Anyways, carrying on, there are a lot of things that only Japan have, a lot of qualities that only the Japanese may exhibit. Things like technology, fashion, music, T.V. shows; a lot of these being discussed pertain to the younger generation. So, correct me if I'm wrong, but maybe it's not so much of people being naive, but what some of us see could only represent an age group in Japan. But, I'll use the term again, it's of Japan origins, nonetheless. And you know what? There's nothing wrong with going for those, because they're real enough.

The spoken language is a fluent, beautiful sound to my ear. The food is exquisite, diverse and can be a little strong-tasting, but their high-end culinary presentation skills are one of the most innovative, in my opinion.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, I absolutely adore their history, what with the samurai and ninja and feudal era. It's almost like art. I love Britain's majestic medieval history, too, but that's beside the point. I have seen the tea-ceremony a few times, looks elegant and sophisticated, and seems like the very epitome of courtesy.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 10-24-2010 at 03:12 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
BakaTensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to BakaTensei
10-24-2010, 02:58 PM

when I watch a japanese tv show (comedy based ones) I actually cry with laughter sometimes...I don't even do that with some of my favourite english comedy tv shows. Just love the sense of humour.

My opinion can be considered invalid though because I havn't decided if I want to make a move to japan
(#9 (permalink))
Old
StonerPenguin (Offline)
loves bein' gross ಥ‿�

10-24-2010, 03:41 PM

Eh, I'd just like to go overseas in general. Y'see both my parents were enlisted in the Air Force (active duty) and they got to go all over the U.S. before I was born -- California, Nevada (they even got married at The Elvis Wedding Chapel in Vegas), Texas, Florida etc. Anyway, my mom was in Panama (the South American one) when she discovered she was pregnant with me (and Panama was a dangerous place in 1990) and it wasn't until she was 8 months pregnant that she was transferred to a base in the US to rest and stuff. So, yeah, then I was born at the hospital at Maxwell AFB. You know where I live now? Maxwell AFB. I've lived in the same place my whole life while my fellow military brats got to move away and go to places like France, Germany and I personally know a few who've been to Japan.

The thing that kills me is a lot of these kids/people didn't even appreciate the culture and sights of the places they visited. I remember being 10 and hearing a girl (in her teens) tell me that she went to France (or Germany, I forget) and stayed on base the whole time. Another girl went to Japan and said she went a time or two off base with a translator and said the fish markets were disgusting, the food was weird so she mostly stayed on base and ate McDonald's D:

So, as a AF brat with never-been-anywhere (and jealous of culturally unappreciative youths) issues I'd love to go overseas, and as Japanese is the foreign language I know best, why not Japan? Moreover, I seafood.

But I don't expect Japan will be the 'magical J-drama-come-to-life land'. I'm sure they'll be nice people and a few assholes; some hot people, some ugly people, good food and bad food. And I think that people need to keep that in mind. Nothing about an entire nation can be perfect. Think about where you live; I'm sure there are nice people and I'm sure there's a few hateful douche bags you know in your country (I know I do...) I think people are about the same wherever you go.

One last thing; "And remember, no matter where you go, there you are." -- Confucius
It's kind of a silly quote but it's a valid point; If you have a problem with yourself, moving to another country make not make you any happier. Food for thought.

Last edited by StonerPenguin : 10-24-2010 at 03:44 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)

10-24-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNative View Post
I can fully understand people being fascinated with Japan. It's a fascinating place. I can fully understand people wanting to come on a holiday to see some of the wonderful places here. What I do struggle with is some of the passionate longing of some of the people on this forum to come live here when they have never been here previously and really have very little idea about what it's like to live in Japan. They seem to have some rather incredibly naive views that Japan is some sort utopian society. It's somewhat irrational and I can't help but think it stems from some serious unhappiness they have living in their own society. As though here they would magically find a happier existence. Well maybe they would....I don't know.
I don't get that kind of mad longing either. I've lived there for a year, and I'm keen to go back, but all my plans to move there again are based on the premise that at the end of the day I might well need to, or want to return to the UK. That's partly why I've lingered after graduation; setting myself some foundations at home I can come back to. And actually, it's a move i'm kind of anxious about. Having been there I have a much bigger appreciation for how large an obstacle things like the language barrier can be when you live and work somewhere (and i'm upper intermediate at Japanese, so i'm no rookie either) full time, and I know how hard it can be to live alone and be responsible for every area of one's life- doing that on the other side of the world is a challenge. I like to think i'll manage it just fine, but who knows? I've only seen one area of Japan really, and things change. Perhaps living there again won't live up to the memory of it. Or perhaps it will be better.

I also have never been driven to want to go to Japan out of a dismissal of my own country. I love the UK. I'm British, and I don't think i'd ever give that up unless push came to shove (like I had kids and my whole life was in Japan, then I might consider it, as I don't think dual nationality is an option, right?). Honestly, I think that the UK has a lot of good points that Japan lacks, although conversely, Japan also has a lot of good points that the UK lacks. And to whoever said (non-verbatim) that British politics and advertising stinks, well basically, those things stink the world over.

So... why? Hard to pin-point really. My reasons have always been kind of hazy, and my reasons now are not the same as the ones I had starting out. I want to go to Japan to improve my Japanese, to get work experience in a field I that i couldn't easily get here. To temper myself, I guess? Prove I can do it, and have something I can say I've done when I'm 80- That I didn't just dream about it; I tried it. To eat more. I guess just to live to my fullest. I could move to London or America and it would be the same; I've just chosen Japan as it has more of that Thing about it. No idea what to call it. It's just that Thing People Look For. Last time I got a glimpse of it was in Japan, so... that's my road.

and that all sounds a lot less crazy in my head. :/