JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

"Spring" Pop Quiz - 03-20-2010, 06:04 AM

It's spring time here in Japan and it's also the Spring Pop Quiz time on JF, according to me. I created this hoping it would help you learn more about Japanese culture and its language. You don't have to answer all of the questions, naturally, as they require different levels of prior knowledge.

Please note that I'm putting this specifically in the Japanese language section, meaning that I would appreciate the answers in Japanese (with the exceptions of #8 and #10). Intermediate and Advanced learners are encouraged to answer those two in Japanese as well. I will post the answers in a few days.

1. When Japanese-speakers name the four seasons, which season always comes first? Just for practice, write all four in the proper order.

2. In what month does the academic year for schools as well as the fiscal year for most organizations start in Japan?

3. What is the spring's first strong gust of wind that is said to bring the season called in Japanese?

4. What is the other meaning of さくら other than the cherry (tree or blossoms)? For that meaning, the word is always written in kana.

5. What kind of meat is called 桜肉?

6. What is the word for "spring rain" and what's its exceptional reading in kana?

7. What is the other meaning of that word above? (Hint: food)

8. 「春が来る」 has two completely different meanings. Its literal meaning is obvious. What is its figurative meaning? If you're willing to, give me an example sentence using the phrase for that meaning.

9. Name a few seasonal words for spring that are used in haiku.

10. Why does the spring break please many Japanese students when it's considerably shorter than the summer break? (This is related to question #2.)

Last edited by Sashimister : 03-20-2010 at 06:12 AM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-20-2010, 04:31 PM

Great quiz, Sashimaster... A good way to see how culture and language are intertwined.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jesselt (Offline)
弱肉強食

03-20-2010, 05:37 PM

1. When Japanese-speakers name the four seasons, which season always comes first? Just for practice, write all four in the proper order.
春夏秋冬

Horse meat?

6. What is the word for "spring rain" and what's its exceptional reading in kana? 春雨? No idea, but just a guess without looking anything up.

Oh man, how many years has it been since I studied Haiku? I kind of remember maybe water lilies? I would also guess Cherry Blossoms but that is probably too obvious and wrong
(#4 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
03-20-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
It's spring time here in Japan and it's also the Spring Pop Quiz time on JF, according to me. I created this hoping it would help you learn more about Japanese culture and its language. You don't have to answer all of the questions, naturally, as they require different levels of prior knowledge.

Please note that I'm putting this specifically in the Japanese language section, meaning that I would appreciate the answers in Japanese (with the exceptions of #8 and #10). Intermediate and Advanced learners are encouraged to answer those two in Japanese as well. I will post the answers in a few days.
SM先生の日本文化教室?はい、参加します!

Quote:
春夏秋冬ではありませんか。「しゅんかしゅうとう」っ て、発音がものすごくにくいです!
Quote:
2. In what month does the academic year for schools as well as the fiscal year for most organizations start in Japan?
四月です!
Quote:
3. What is the spring's first strong gust of wind that is said to bring the season called in Japanese?
昨日、ある日本人のウェブ友が教えてくれました。春一 番です。冬将軍を吹き飛んじゃいます?
Quote:
4. What is the other meaning of さくら other than the cherry (tree or blossoms)? For that meaning, the word is always written in kana.
この質問があまりわかりません。問5.と関連をしてい ますか。
Quote:
うまの肉のこと。食べることがありません。おいしいで すか......
Quote:
6. What is the word for "spring rain" and what's its exceptional reading in kana?
春雨(はるさめ)です。
Quote:
Greenbeanとかポテトから作られる透明なヌードルです。中 国料理にもよく使われますね。韓国のチャプチェが好き なのです。
Quote:
8. 「春が来る」 has two completely different meanings. Its literal meaning is obvious. What is its figurative meaning? If you're willing to, give me an example sentence using the phrase for that meaning.
理系学生なので、これパス!
Quote:
俳句なんか知りません(笑)。理系学生ですから。
Quote:
10. Why does the spring break please many Japanese students when it's considerably shorter than the summer break? (This is related to question #2.)
Is it because the spring break means "the end of the school year", so after the break students are either promoted to the next grade, or graduated? At least, I don't think there will be any homework in spring break as the school year has ended already.

Last edited by berrypie : 03-20-2010 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Slightly change on the format so that it looks nicer.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-21-2010, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie View Post
この質問があまりわかりません。問5.と関連をしてい ますか。
関連はありません。これは難しい質問ですのであまり気 にしないでください。1-2日中に正解を発表します。
(#6 (permalink))
Old
totallylost202 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to totallylost202
03-21-2010, 10:55 PM

やってみますー!

春夏秋冬 (しゅんかしゅうとう)ですか。

4月ですか。

春一番だと思います。 

馬の肉です!

春雨ですか? (はるさめ)

麺類が入ったもともと中国料理なんじゃないですか? 

お祝いとしてこれを言いますか? いま、文章を作れな いけど。。。

えと。。。私はフランス語の学生で、ちょっと難しいけ ど、蜂はどうですか。  その上。。。ウサギはどうですか? 河を使ってもいい ということも聞いたことがあるんですが。。。

もうすぐ新しい学期が始まるんですから? それとも、 試験がありませんねぇ。
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Columbine (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

03-22-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashimister View Post
etc
3)春一番?
6)春雨 はるさめ (Spring sharks! )
7)芋で使った麺ですか?
9)はなぐもり、ねこのこい、春分の日。 lol, ok i'm not at all sure about that last one! 
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

Answer Time! - 03-23-2010, 03:39 AM

It's answer time! Many thanks to those who have replied.

春夏秋冬(しゅんかしゅうとう)。 Note that small kids read this はるなつあきふゆ.

2. In what month does the academic year for schools as well as the fiscal year for most organizations start in Japan?  4月

3. What is the spring's first strong gust of wind that is said to bring the season called in Japanese?  春一番(はるいちばん)。

露店(ろてん)などで、客の買い気をそそるため、客の ふりをして買い物する仲間。
A decoy, a plant, a shill, a claqueur, etc. Anyone who is hired to pretend to be a customer for the purpose of attracting other customers.

5. What kind of meat is called 桜肉? 馬肉(ばにく)。

6. What is the word for "spring rain" and what's its exceptional reading in kana?  春雨(はるめ)。

透明な麺(めん)状の食品
Tranparent noodle often used in salads.

「人に幸せが訪れる」という意味です。"A happiness (usually a romantic one) comes to someone."

「35年間ボーイフレンドのいなかった花子さんにやっと� ��が来ました。来年結婚する予定です。」

春風、春雨、残雪、花見、卒業、進級, etc.

多くの学校では春休みに宿題が出ないからです。
Because most schools don't give homework for the spring break as it falls between two academic years.

Thanks again for your replies. See you in three months in the "Summer" Pop Quiz! これからもがんばって勉強してね~。 
(#9 (permalink))
Old
berrypie (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to berrypie
03-23-2010, 05:35 AM

あっ!SM先生は正しい答えを発表しました!

問4.の答えに驚きましたね。花のことのほかに、そう いう意味もあるって。ですが、客のふりをするのはちょ っとひどいではありませんか。 まあまあ、それはBusinessなのです!

「春が来る」はそんな意味がありますか。おもしろいで すね。やっぱり日本人にとって春は恋の季節そうです。 みんなも「春が来る」だけではなく、「春にいる」する ように祈っています。(幸せをしていて)

ホンコン学生は問10.の答えに羨ましいかもしれませ ん。 わたしたち夏休みに宿題がありましたよ。夏休みが終わ ると次学年の担任の先生に提出しました。

SM先生、おもしろいテストを出てくれてありがとうござ� ��ます! 夏におけるテストを楽しみにしていますね。
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Sashimister (Offline)
他力本願

03-23-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by berrypie View Post

問4.の答えに驚きましたね。花のことのほかに、そう いう意味もあるって。ですが、客のふりをするのはちょ っとひどいではありませんか。 まあまあ、それはBusinessなのです!
ひどいと言えばひどいかも知れませんが、よくある事な んです。新しいお店が開店する時などはかなり普通に行 われています。大学生などが喜んでやりますね。あとは パチンコ店ですね。朝、開店の一時間前から店の前に並 ぶんです。そうすると、それを見た人は、「きっと良い パチンコ店に違いない!オレも並ぼう。」と思ったりす るんです。消費者心理学ですね。

Quote:
「春が来る」はそんな意味がありますか。おもしろいで すね。やっぱり日本人にとって春は恋の季節そうです。 みんなも「春が来る」だけではなく、「春にいる」する ように祈っています。(幸せをしていて)
私にも早く春が来てほしいです。現在長~い冬の中にい ます。 オレはイヌイットかっ!

Quote:
ホンコン学生は問10.の答えに羨ましいかもしれませ ん。 わたしたち夏休みに宿題がありましたよ。夏休みが終わ ると次学年の担任の先生に提出しました。
マジっすか~。そりゃ大変だ。だからベリーちゃんは優 秀なんですね。

Quote:
SM先生、おもしろいテストを出てくれてありがとうござ� ��ます! 夏におけるテストを楽しみにしていますね。
はい、では夏にまたお会いしましょう!