03-08-2008, 08:44 PM

I picked ninja but both are amazing.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
Elessari (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to Elessari Send a message via Yahoo to Elessari
03-09-2008, 02:39 AM

I think they both have their own charm, but if I had to pick between the two I would say ninja.

Maybe someday....
(#43 (permalink))
Old
JapanFreak27 (Offline)
New to JF

Cool Personally... - 03-09-2008, 04:12 AM

I like ninjas better,but it dosen't really matter to me.

How to spell nerd: J-a-p-a-n F-r-e-a-k-2-7

Now,EVERYBODY DANCE!!!!!

Last edited by JapanFreak27 : 03-09-2008 at 04:21 AM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
03-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Amnell, I am not human in the sense you are. It is not natural to accept death when you neither have the feeling of despair/depression, or when there is no greater good, such as to save your family or something. In every essence, the Way of the Warrior is inhuman. It is something that must be learned. That is what I meant.

I mean like, you are your American self (not being anti American anymore), but when you fight, it is the same types of reasons that all your enemies fight for. The Muslims believe it is for the good of their community, for their families well being, and the Iranians and Iraqis believe it is for freedom. The Japanese were fighting for their greater good, they thought their emperor was a God, like Bush does about the Christ God. They are really all the same reasons. And then, they really do all the same things. The Muslims bombed the towers, the US bombed Hiroshima, Nagasaki, and the entire middle east. I am not sparking a debate on who is more just to do this, the point is given the right circumstances and level of desperation, they will do the exact same things for their cause, which is a cause inspired by the exact same thoughts. Does it not even cross your mind that this kind of conflict is slightly futile? It is basic humanity. And do you think humanity has an end? No. It exists to further itself. So these conflicts will never have an end.

A Warrior must look at things objectivly. He must enter a battle he knows can be won. And he must keep himself.

What you are saying you are completely wrong. Your morphing in the face of your enemy to become his weakness is killing your heart, you are loosing. And then the reasons you fight for are like illusions in a desert... They are not the rational thoughts of a sensible mind. They are the same basic ideas you and all men are born with, and you have effectivly gotten no where since the day you were born...

Hm... Okay, what you said before makes a little more sense. Now I have a new question:

Other than battle-philosophy, what's the real difference between you and me as humans?

Before you answer that: I think I see what you're trying to say, but I feel that I need to question it both for my own understanding and also to force you to think about it.

You say that not fearing death for a 'damn good reason' is inhuman. I tend to agree, but that doesn't make you less human or superhuman. Everyone has their quirks, no? A man died a few years ago, eaten by a grizzly bear. He'd lived with these creatures every summer for thirteen years, completely unafraid of them. That might seem inhuman to anyone, yeah? Or any soldier throughout history who met his physical limit and kept going, still strong, in a state that to any normal person might seem beyond the limits of human ability. They were all still human. You are no different. If I cut you, you would bleed. If I killed your family, you would cry (unless you really hate them, which happens <_<; ). If I handed you a cuddly little kitten, you would smile (or sneeze).

Learned behaviours are nothing special. I learned to read and write--I wasn't born doing those things.

Next...

This may not have any bearing on the conversation (actually, I'm more interested in the above issue than this one), so read at your discression.

Morphing in the face of the enemy. Taking advantage of his weaknesses. Giving him no chance, once he has initiated conflict, to defend himself. It has no bearing on my soul. In a most literal sense, it's nothing more than me waiting for my sparring partner to step to the left when he should have stepped to the right and then striking. In a larger sense, it's battlefield tactics: flanking maneuvers, ambushes, logistic disruption, etc. In politics, this can be seen as researching the opposing candidate and exposing his faults. In debate, keeping track of the little details your opponent "fails" to address and then pressing in on those. These things have no effect on me.

In trying to become like the enemy in order to anticipate him better, that's when things become compromising. It's well known that undercover cops tend to come out in a very sad state mind as opposed to their going in.

In cases of a combatant (in any sense of the word) trying to become his enemy to defeat his enemy, the real battle is no longer 'in the ring', but in the heart. It's not an impossible fight, either. Undercover cops do recover, eventually.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that every battle a person faces will leave some kind of mark, no matter how they face it. Like the willow and the oak previously mentioned. The willow might change its shape a bit, the oak might lose a lot of branches--in either case, both live on with the signs of the wind's passing.

Just don't try to imitate the wind, 'cause the wind always dies out, eventually. (^_^;; I know that was a lame extension of the analogy, forgive me!)

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.

Last edited by Amnell : 03-09-2008 at 08:54 AM.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
03-09-2008, 10:44 AM

Samurai. Samurais are awesome.

Go Samurai Jack!!

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#46 (permalink))
Old
CrazyLee (Offline)
4th Kyu Aikidoka

Send a message via MSN to CrazyLee Send a message via Skype™ to CrazyLee
03-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Ninja's never existed. Plain and simple. If you called a Samurai which was anyone of the noble caste) a ninja then your insulting their honor and your own.
So I choose Samurai, because at least we know they existed...

(#47 (permalink))
Old
Sundae16 (Offline)
mmmm...hi xD

03-09-2008, 11:34 AM

I like both..dunno ninja..samurai..ninja..samurai? XD
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Thunda (Offline)
Don't bother reading

Send a message via MSN to Thunda
03-09-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae16 View Post
I like both..dunno ninja..samurai..ninja..samurai? XD
Samurai.

Man I'm busy as hell. Hit me up on MSN or pm me.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Sundae16 (Offline)
mmmm...hi xD

03-09-2008, 11:39 AM

ok, samurai
(#50 (permalink))
Old
Amnell (Offline)
W.o.W. I'm 66

Send a message via AIM to Amnell Send a message via Skype™ to Amnell
03-10-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ”Tenchu”
Our conciousness is a constant flow of memory, like a river. Before the brain realizes the exact moment it lives in, that moment is gone, due to the moment it takes for nerves to pass signals and for signals to be interpretated. Man can only imagine what reality is like through a delayed perception which is open to misinterpretation and distortion, he can never know, his brain is always too slow.
That… probably isn’t true. I have heard some rather interesting research (I’d have to look it up again :P ) about perception. It’s an hypothesis out of quantum physics, but the gist is that our being is “holographic”, in the sense that every tiny part is exactly like the whole. This is an oversimplification, sorry T_T . The idea goes on that our bodies, being holographic, are aware of everything that goes on within no matter where it happens. This is why if you put your hand on a burner, you feel the pain instantly, even if you don’t quite react that fast. By extension, our consciousness is completely aware of the universe immediately around it, making perception a real-time deal. Theoretically, there is absolutely no delay between reception of data and interpretation of data; I see the letters appear on the screen as they appear, not microseconds after they’ve appeared.

To my knowledge, one of the things that makes this hypothesis seem more plausible is the simple fact that for chemical messengers to reach the brain from the foot, as in the standard theory, takes too long for us to avoid damaging our bodies at every given opportunity.

But that’s just perception. What you say about the heart/spirit is a little harder to quantify .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ”Musashi”
When your spirit is not in the least clouded, when the clouds of bewilderment clear away, there is the true void.
Lol, I like that…. At the onset of every martial arts class I’ve yet taken, we meditate with the goal of clearing our minds so that we can better absorb what we’re taught in class and to perform closer to our highest ability. Clear the mind, as in make it empty, create a void inside your head so that it may be filled with what is important, and then begin again. From this, I understand the concept, though I never thought of trying to apply it to every breathing moment of life.

Quote:
Clearly from this you can see the persons intention changeing and this is what I meant by morphing, more so.
Hmm… I don’t think I agree there. I know this isn’t everyone, but if it were me in that situation, my thoughts would be, at the point of being overwhelmed, “I’m about to lose this fight—it’s time for me to retreat, recover, replan, and retry.” So I begin to retreat with the intention of trying again, maybe with a different methodology, but still with the same goal/intent. Then I see the sword and realize I have an opportunity NOW to finish what I’ve started; I don’t have to go to the trouble of replanning, now, because I can now enact my original plan with the aid of a tool.

Through it all, my methods changed, but my intentions didn’t nor did my will to see the task through. Again, this is me—other people may of course be different.

Hm, but then you say “When a Warrior says he is going to do something, he does it, or dies trying.” To this I ask, “Is there something inherently wrong with trying multiple times, if such an option exists?” Key phrase: if such an option exists.

Quote:
Neither willow or oak is relevant, I would say, what is important is that whilst they were alive, be it past the time of the big storm or not, it is important that they were actually sure of themself, their identity, and where they stood, exactley, so when conflict such as storms do come, they are fully ready in their heart to deal with such a situation, whether it means their death or not. The type of tree is irrelevant.
Lol, well said. Almost defeats the purpose of this whole conversation, doesn’t it? XD

"The trouble with trying to make something idiot proof is that idiots are so smart." ~A corollary to Murphy's Law

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you actually make them think, they'll hate you. ~Don Marquis

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle
But, that's always f-ed up individuals that kill in secluded areas up high in the mountains. Thats neither the army nor the governments agenda! I hope those people rott in hell, but an army or government shouldn't be judged by psycho individuals.