LinkBack Thread Tools
(#191 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
If it's not licensed, how else do you get to read it, even if you still plan on buying it when it becomes available?
This is how it works: you don't. Millions of anime and manga fans DON'T read non-licensed materials every day. Dozens of titles come out every week. You have finished reading all the stuff that is legal?

Where did the false sense of privilege come from?

Please explain your rights to this material?
(#192 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-23-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am trying to figure out why you need to DL anime to discuss manga...but not very hard.
What I'm saying is that I don't download anime much. Usually, it's someone else who downloads it, and I watch along. I was also saying that I'm more of a manga person than an anime person, so it shouldn't be surprising that I don't know much about the resources that you mentioned, like anime boards and all that. I don't go to any "anime boards" that have "news" and all that stuff. I usually go to boards on a specific series, and for the most part, it's because I'm reading it, not watching it, and enjoy discussing it..
(#193 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
What I'm saying is that I don't download anime much. Usually, it's someone else who downloads it, and I watch along.
You have said this several times. Why is this any less stealing from the creators? It sounds exactly like an excuse a drug user says on "Cops". "No, I didn't buy this...my friend did. I don't use that often..."

Quote:
I was also saying that I'm more of a manga person than an anime person, so it shouldn't be surprising that I don't know much about the resources that you mentioned, like anime boards and all that. I don't go to any "anime boards" that have "news" and all that stuff. I usually go to boards on a specific series, and for the most part, it's because I'm reading it, not watching it, and enjoy discussing it..
Did I say "anime boards"? If you only go to manga sites, then I am sure you read Mangablog daily. All you need to know is there, and nothing illegal to worry about!
(#194 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-23-2009, 08:20 AM

Quote:
This is how it works: you don't. Millions of anime and manga fans DON'T read non-licensed materials every day. Dozens of titles come out every week. You have finished reading all the stuff that is legal?
It still hadn't been released, and I just said that the stuff I want is old, meaning it's already finished. It just hasn't been released yet. Out of the list I already put up, only a few titles have finally gotten a UK and US license recently, and is going to get bought, even if I did come across them years ago (LoZ manga, aside from the American release put out back in the early 90s for AlltP in Nintendo Power).

Thinking about, I think every single title I wanted were works that were already finished in Japan, 'cept for the series I'm reading ahead of, but still collecting it as it's released here and the only series I'm doing that with are Mahou Sensei Negima and Detective Conan.
Quote:
Please explain your rights to this material?
What's there to explain? I want to own it, but can't because they're not released here in the states, but, would if I could. If I get desperate enough, I might look them up in auctions or something, since some are out of print.
(#195 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

07-23-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You have said this several times. Why is this any less stealing from the creators? It sounds exactly like an excuse a drug user says on "Cops". "No, I didn't buy this...my friend did. I don't use that often..."
I don't see how it's comparable.
Quote:
Did I say "anime boards"? If you only go to manga sites, then I am sure you read Mangablog daily. All you need to know is there, and nothing illegal to worry about!
Actually, I don't read mangablog. Never heard of it to be honest, but I'll look into it. Either way though, every single manga I've read, I've bought if it was available. Some series I picked up because I saw it in the book store, not because of a "scanlation". Majority of that have been unlicensed stuff I've come across.

Since I've played the game, I'd like to get the Tales of Symphonia manga just to see what that's fully like. Sampled some of it, and liked what I read of it and now want to own it.
(#196 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
It still hadn't been released, and I just said that the stuff I want is old, meaning it's already finished. It just hasn't been released yet. Out of the list I already put up, only a few titles have finally gotten a UK and US license recently, and is going to get bought, even if I did come across them years ago (LoZ manga, aside from the American release put out back in the early 90s for AlltP in Nintendo Power).

Thinking about, I think every single title I wanted were works that were already finished in Japan, 'cept for the series I'm reading ahead of, but still collecting it as it's released here and the only series I'm doing that with are Mahou Sensei Negima and Detective Conan.What's there to explain? I want to own it, but can't because they're not released here in the states, but, would if I could. If I get desperate enough, I might look them up in auctions or something, since some are out of print.
Being "old" doesn't make a difference. Just because it is old and "finished" doesn't mean the publishers don't still maintain the rights (and those rights are international, as decided by the UN a long time ago).

I am not saying it doesn't suck. I am just saying that is the way it is.
(#197 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)

07-23-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Being "old" doesn't make a difference. Just because it is old and "finished" doesn't mean the publishers don't still maintain the rights (and those rights are international, as decided by the UN a long time ago).

I am not saying it doesn't suck. I am just saying that is the way it is.
I know you're right, but still seems crazy that you're getting on me when I'm one of the ones who'd purchase the stuff even if it's further down the road than I'd like. You come across as, "You must buy everything right then and there," even though I know you don't genuinely mean that. I guess, for me, I don't feel as bad about any manga I might read online if I'm going to buy it anyway or am already buying it.

Too bad for the finished, old, or out of print series, no matter what I do for those, the publishing company won't see a cent from me (especially out of print stuff) as the only way to get those would probably be through YahooJapan auctions. *Tsks* It's like buying a cd through EBay...it won't count towards the actual group/artist or music charts.

I just wish I was fluent in Japanese. I still have a long way to go for that. I'd just get originals if that were the case.
(#198 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-23-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
I know you're right, but still seems crazy that you're getting on me when I'm one of the ones who'd purchase the stuff even if it's further down the road than I'd like. You come across as, "You must buy everything right then and there," even though I know you don't genuinely mean that. I guess, for me, I don't feel as bad about any manga I might read online if I'm going to buy it anyway or am already buying it.

Too bad for the finished, old, or out of print series, no matter what I do for those, the publishing company won't see a cent from me (especially out of print stuff) as the only way to get those would probably be through YahooJapan auctions. *Tsks* It's like buying a cd through EBay...it won't count towards the actual group/artist or music charts.

I just wish I was fluent in Japanese. I still have a long way to go for that. I'd just get originals if that were the case.
I am not picking on you, I am just responding to you. If you are feeling attacked, let me tell you that is not my intention.
(#199 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
07-23-2009, 11:22 AM

I don't want to be of annoyance, but I've repeated this countless tiems. You can't steal in the internetz by downloading. You get a copy of it, nobody else loses the anime or manga.

IRL, if I steal, somebody loses it. It's not the same.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#200 (permalink))
Old
Skuu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via MSN to Skuu
07-23-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I don't want to be of annoyance, but I've repeated this countless tiems. You can't steal in the internetz by downloading. You get a copy of it, nobody else loses the anime or manga.

IRL, if I steal, somebody loses it. It's not the same.
It's legally stealing. Someone else's licensed product which they don't want you to have without paying and you get it without paying. This is stealing.

In just practical terms, I agree it's not quite stealing. If you look at it on the individual level you can say 'well I'm either gonna d/l it or not get it at all' but that averages over a lot of people to theft because a lot of people would have had to buy it otherwise.