JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#71 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-12-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by persiandragon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
I know for a fact that I'll probably still stick with reading Negima online and other series that I'm physically collecting, until it actually gets released to buy later.
negima is licensed if you didn't know that. volume 20 i think just came out recently.
I know that. I own up to volume 18 (just recently caught myself up to it from where I left off after losing my job; I haven't gotten 19 yet [that's the most recent release to my knowledge]). What I meant was that until whatever the next volume is gets a release in the US, I might read ahead, which I've been doing a long time now for this particular series and have been trying to do with +Anima (rare to find online scanlations past Volume 8 for), even though Volume 8 comes out next week, and it's in reserve for me to get. The story for +Anima is so interesting to me, I'm just dying to know what's going to happen next. I've reread my copies of volumes 1-7 a lot of times now and I just got into the series two months ago. I'm really really really looking forward to reading Volume 8 in the comforts of my room before bedtime. lol

Anywho, I originally started reading Negima scanlations after I'd read Volume 10, since that was as far as the US was at that time for the same reason I wanted to with +Anima, something to hold me over until the next official release. I read ahead until Volume 11 came out and then bought that, etc. Last year, after I lost my job, I stopped at Volume 12 since I couldn't waste the extra money on manga. I always intended on continuing collecting it, just put it on hold for a while.

Thinking about it, I think Negima is the only licensed series that I actually read online and buy. Most everything else is unlicensed stuff, and if they had licenses, I'd definitely buy them (especially Gokusen).

If you're a true fan of a series, you'll definitely buy it. It might be later than you want, or right on the day of the release, but you'll definitely find a way to get it to be supportive.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 06-12-2008 at 12:56 AM.
(#72 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
06-12-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asakura View Post
MMM and all these people have a point. The american Anime and Manga industry is in dire straights. And the fact of the matter is I oughta be hanged for some of my comments, but let me return the favor by redeeming my last link with a new link.
Anime Takeout - Rent Anime DVDs Online

If you can't get manga in your immidiate area then use this. With this at least you're not stealing. It's sota like the gamefly and netflix of the Anime/Manga world. Help MMM keep doing what he loves, and be a real fan by paying for your hobby. But to those that download (and formerly to myself) you're killing the industry in America. Please, please don't.
IMO, I don't see too much wrong with it for sampling reasons. It's like when you go into a music store, and you listen to a cd set up and if you like it, you buy it. I see anime and manga the same way, to a certain extent. I could download something, watch some of it. If I like it a lot, I'll consider buying it and add it to my list of things to buy. If not, I delete.

I also don't see anything wrong with download scanlations, if you're still purchasing the manga as your country releases it.

The main problem is that there are just too many who chooses not to.

I know after I saw fansubs of Deathnote (it wasn't released in the US yet), I did say that if it got an official dub/sub release, I'd definitely buy its boxset since I liked the series so much.
(#73 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-12-2008, 01:14 AM

I agree to a certain degree, but I think the ability to allow you to "sample" needs to be in the hands of the licensor, not just random people.

I have seen people say they would never buy a manga because the translation was so bad. I was like "What are you talking about?" until I realized they were reading scanlations, not the actual prefessional releases...so those kinds of situations can hurt, not help, as well.
(#74 (permalink))
Old
Altaru (Offline)
I want my Insanity back!

06-12-2008, 02:47 AM

Yay! I converted three people today!

I made three people stop reading and watching online. They've agreed to start using that one site that Asakura put up, and buying when conventions come around.

I feel proud of myself, a little.

Next: THE WORLD!

Squad 11 - Sanity isn't our style.

Emilie Autumn, in the middle. She's amazing. That is all.

"We're all puppets. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
(#75 (permalink))
Old
Asakura (Offline)
Training like Ryu.......

06-12-2008, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaru View Post
Yay! I converted three people today!

I made three people stop reading and watching online. They've agreed to start using that one site that Asakura put up, and buying when conventions come around.

I feel proud of myself, a little.

Next: THE WORLD!
All right! Did I redeem myself MMM?

Ubi concordia, ibi victoria
(#76 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-12-2008, 03:07 AM

Hey that's great! See, it is possible. I think the threat of losing manga and anime is a good inspiration to get it legit.

GOOD JOB~
(#77 (permalink))
Old
Altaru (Offline)
I want my Insanity back!

06-13-2008, 04:08 PM

Grr... I'm a little angry now.

I tried posting what MMM said on another forum that I go to quite often...

Well, to say the least I'm not going there anymore.

I got THIS reply from one of the MODERATORS of the site:

Quote:
Lets be honest, Tokyopop kinda massproduces alot of what is basically sub par anime. So hopefully this remove the chaff.
I replied, of course, and basically told him that that's not the point.

Not to mention, he moved it from the place that I put it to one of the sections of the forum that very few people ever go to. Didn't even leave the link behind for where he'd moved it, I had to find it myself.

People like that tick me off... They see the most pointless little details, not the whole picture, for what it's worth...

Squad 11 - Sanity isn't our style.

Emilie Autumn, in the middle. She's amazing. That is all.

"We're all puppets. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."
(#78 (permalink))
Old
koikurasu (Offline)
Obey the fist!

Send a message via AIM to koikurasu Send a message via MSN to koikurasu Send a message via Skype™ to koikurasu
06-13-2008, 04:55 PM

Here here! 3 cheers for MMM brave, true, and honored speech! HIP HIP!

Was it something I said? Whatever it was, I didn't mean it. I haven't meant anything I've said for years. Except what I just said. I think

Final Fantasy Clan Member
CODE NAME: CHOCOBO
(#79 (permalink))
Old
persiandragon (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via AIM to persiandragon
06-13-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altaru View Post
Grr... I'm a little angry now.

I tried posting what MMM said on another forum that I go to quite often...

Well, to say the least I'm not going there anymore.

I got THIS reply from one of the MODERATORS of the site:

what forum did you post at?
sucks that they acted that way.
(#80 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

06-13-2008, 05:10 PM

Subpar or not, TokyoPop is (or was) the biggest manga producer in the US, and they just had to cut 40% of their staff and dozens of titles for publication.

One issue might be that much of what TokyoPop markets is for a teen audience, and who is most likely to DL for free, and may not even realize that what they are doing is wrong?

I am not saying teenagers are at fault, but teenagers certainly have less fluid cash for entertainment than adults and they may not realize that the sites are breaking the law. (How many times have people posted links to illegal sites on this forum saying "Check this out! The manga/anime is all free!"? It happends weekly.)

I would be curious as to what forum that was, too. I would like to see how they treat the industry they pretend to love.

And thanks koikurasu...I see fewer people trying to defend their free DL practices, which I hope means they are starting to get it.