JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

04-23-2008, 09:26 PM

okay, my bad. *smacks own forehead*

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#52 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-23-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanji_The_Wanderer View Post

@ SUKI - Never heard of such a thing, not saying it's not true, but it's surprising.
What is, the fact he was sued?

Quote:
Iwasaki agreed to an interview by the author because she thought she could help dispel "the Fujiyama-geisha image of a woman who sells herself to her customers." She was shocked when Golden's novel turned out to be a narrative that contradicted her very intentions.
Taken from:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Memoirs of a Geisha: A Novel

If you have time you might wanna read this over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM
There were only pure geisha. If you were a prostitute, then you weren't a geisha. It's like saying "He was kind of a four-star general". Either you were or you weren't.
Not the same. If you become a geisha, you don't stop being one by deciding to put your body up for sale for a little while. That's up to each individual person to decide how the want to earn a living, and it brakes no code nor does it make them look any less genuine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveV
>> A ceremony with sex for money involved.
Call it whatever fancy term you like. That was prostitution.
No!! It's not sex for money! They don't get paid, their... "manager" does xD! And it's not like they decide to do it, it's something they have to go through!

everything is relative and contradictory ~

Last edited by Suki : 04-23-2008 at 09:39 PM.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
kiyuga (Offline)
Miss Anger Issue

Send a message via Yahoo to kiyuga
04-23-2008, 09:40 PM

Geishas are not prostitutes at all. One person I knew went to Japan and was dissappointed that they weren't..................

I am the RAMEN QUEEN! Hear me slurp!!! My buds in the club so far are: Kiyuge-Chan(prez), MarkDuff(prime minister), xtine, LolitaLover, Juno, eve636, KloudCat(yaoi loving kitten?), xfromwenzyoucamex, zachart, silveremperial, thalia4, HinataUchiha, Orihimegirl123, nishitha, BabyGirl15, RazerKill, Emmiechan, RoninDistance, XOXkAWAIiXOX, and Kakashi7!If you would like to join the ramen club...PM me!!!
(#54 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-23-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
What is, the fact he was sued?

Taken from:

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Memoirs of a Geisha: A Novel

If you have time you might wanna read this over.
FROM YOUR LINK:

In Mainichi Daily News
By Keisuke Hirano
Mainichi Shimbun
"Ex-geisha takes objection to "Memoirs of a Geisha" "

November 30, 2001
"Geishas are professionals who make a living by using their artistic skills, but many people have a mistaken image of the world of mystery and shadows," says Mineko Iwasaki. Arthur Golden's "Memoirs of a Geisha" (translated in Japan as "Sayuri") was published in 1997 and has sold 4 million copies in the United States.

Iwasaki agreed to an interview by the author because she thought she could help dispel "the Fujiyama-geisha image of a woman who sells herself to her customers." She was shocked when Golden's novel turned out to be a narrative that contradicted her very intentions.
(#55 (permalink))
Old
EveV (Offline)
Flee from hate.

Send a message via MSN to EveV Send a message via Yahoo to EveV
04-23-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
No!! It's not sex for money! They don't get paid, their... "manager" does xD! And it's not like they decide to do it, it's something they have to go through!
Are you being sarcastic? x.x

I know it's something they have to do but it's still prostitution x.x

"The sky is cryin...
Can't you see the tears roll down the street?"
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
(#56 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

04-23-2008, 09:58 PM

I think I know where the misunderstanding and confusion about Geisha's come from... I invite you guys to search for a picture of a Oiran and then compare it to a picture of a Geisha. Without searching to find out what an Oiran is, answer this question. Do you think Oiran is a type of geisha, basically, do you think they both look the same?

DO NOT READ THE FOLLOWING UNTIL YOU'VE SEARCHED FOR A PIC.

the answer, to the untrained is almost guranteed to be a yes, they do look the same. As you will find out by searching for an Oiran, they were high class prostitutes. So, two different professions in which the women have a very similar dress code. To add to the confusion, it is said that Geisha's played their instruments to entertain the customer with an Oiran. (Some do not believe this is true, but if it is, you can see how this adds to the confusion)

Last edited by noodle : 04-23-2008 at 10:05 PM.
(#57 (permalink))
Old
catapillera1 (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to catapillera1
04-23-2008, 10:38 PM

there are some cosplay girls that dress like geishas !
i hope people don't think there real lol !
i just like the way they look!
i love there make-up the most !
i like to mix some of there make-up and hair styles
with my own!
i would like to talk to a real geisha about how they do there make-up and hair !

(((*(^_^)*)))
(#58 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-23-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
I think I know where the misunderstanding and confusion about Geisha's come from... I invite you guys to search for a picture of a Oiran and then compare it to a picture of a Geisha. Without searching to find out what an Oiran is, answer this question. Do you think Oiran is a type of geisha, basically, do you think they both look the same?

the answer, to the untrained is almost guranteed to be a yes, they do look the same. As you will find out by searching for an Oiran, they were high class prostitutes. So, two different professions in which the women have a very similar dress code. To add to the confusion, it is said that Geisha's played their instruments to entertain the customer with an Oiran. (Some do not believe this is true, but if it is, you can see how this adds to the confusion)
Great points, Noodle.
(#59 (permalink))
Old
asouatiqah (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to asouatiqah Send a message via Yahoo to asouatiqah
04-24-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post

now im very sure about the answer
(#60 (permalink))
Old
Tsuwabuki (Offline)
石路 美蔓

05-05-2008, 01:18 AM

I was actually looking for a thread more on where to see geisha, best times to see them, dances, and theatre in Kyoto, since I have some off time next weekend to explore the city, but I can add relevant information here:

"Iwasaki claims she would never have done such a thing, although Golden, rather ungallantly, has gone on record saying that Iwasaki told him that her mizuage had been sold for Y100 Million, and that he has taped conversations to prove it.

"Threats of legal action swirled for a while, but now that Iwasaki has had her say in print, they have been quietly forgotten, leaving some to conclude that what really upset the former geisha was how much money Golden had made on her story."

Dodd Jan, and Simon Richmond: A Rough Guide to Japan, Third Edition, January 2005, Rough Guides Press, New York, London, Dehli.

Seems to me that Iwasaki could not have successfully won that suit had she pursued it if Golden really could produce tapes, and vice versa, if she could have proven he was falsifying her history, then I doubt she'd have dropped the suit. Rather, I think Iwasaki's motivation was one of a good business woman, as most geisha were/are. She either expected a cut or she didn't realise fully what Golden's intentions were for the interviews she provided. She was brokering for a deal here, but she was at a severe disadvantage because of the tapes. In the end, it appears she had no leverage.