JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
10-21-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
You can tweek vista to make it faster than XP could ever be... Vista has some serious power when you allocate a limited amount of memory to all the crap that's running in the background.
What a load of bollocks. Tweaking Vista as in removing processes and other useful stuff. That always ends with errors at some point and average users can't even find support because their version is different.

Vista's 'crap' is needed, put some valid facts and not your nonsense. you'd think MS put such 'crap' without valid reason?

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#32 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-21-2009, 12:17 AM

hey guys... i decided i'd breach topic a bit,..(gomen to the mods), but i didn't feel like making a whole new thread for this..

anyway, (here's how i relate it to this discussion), in order to make ubuntu run faster on my computer, i have been trying to overclock my machine. I have a lenovo 3000 N100 w/ intel core 2 duo rated @ 1.66 GHz.. all i'm looking for is a boost up to 1.82 GHz, but the bios restricts any change to the CPU speed and i've tried the freeware available but i couldn't find the right PLL for my machine so it didn't detect the clocks properly....

anybody have any ideas?...

IamKira
(#33 (permalink))
Old
LightningSaix73 (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to LightningSaix73
10-21-2009, 02:39 AM

I use Sabayon Linux 5.0 64bit on my desktop and on my netbook. Its the gnome version which sucks I miss KDE. The reason I use it is because I'm to immature to use virus protection.

Be Happy! Be Happy! \( ^_^)/
(#34 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

10-21-2009, 02:49 AM

Linux user here. Specifically Sabayon Linux (GNOME version).

Can't complain, but GNOME is getting better at a relatively slower pace. I hope Metacity is completely removed for a responsive one when it officially gets the "Shell".

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
TitansWrath (Offline)
New to JF

10-21-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
hey guys... i decided i'd breach topic a bit,..(gomen to the mods), but i didn't feel like making a whole new thread for this..

anyway, (here's how i relate it to this discussion), in order to make ubuntu run faster on my computer, i have been trying to overclock my machine. I have a lenovo 3000 N100 w/ intel core 2 duo rated @ 1.66 GHz.. all i'm looking for is a boost up to 1.82 GHz, but the bios restricts any change to the CPU speed and i've tried the freeware available but i couldn't find the right PLL for my machine so it didn't detect the clocks properly....

anybody have any ideas?...
hmm i just noticed that you're using laptop so I don't really recommend doing that. IMO to get best performance out of ur laptop is to increase RAM to 2 GB and it will have bigger impact to performance than boosting ur speed just a little. U didn't mention how much u got in there so i assume u have 512 MB according to the specs i found. Also you'll have better luck changing the FSB to increase speed instead of CPU. Most of the CPUs are physically locked to prevents changes to their multipliers.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

10-21-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
What a load of bollocks. Tweaking Vista as in removing processes and other useful stuff. That always ends with errors at some point and average users can't even find support because their version is different.

Vista's 'crap' is needed, put some valid facts and not your nonsense. you'd think MS put such 'crap' without valid reason?
What's a load of bollocks is that you assume tweeking means removing I've worked with PC Management and used programs like HP Radia to tweek Operating systems and have never had a problem with Vista. It runs super smooth, looks beautiful, and walks all over XP!

I advice you take a chill pill cos you obviously had some kind of problem with Vista, so you've set yourself an agenda to hate it and diss anyone that likes Vista! Grow up!
(#37 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-21-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansWrath View Post
hmm i just noticed that you're using laptop so I don't really recommend doing that. IMO to get best performance out of ur laptop is to increase RAM to 2 GB and it will have bigger impact to performance than boosting ur speed just a little. U didn't mention how much u got in there so i assume u have 512 MB according to the specs i found. Also you'll have better luck changing the FSB to increase speed instead of CPU. Most of the CPUs are physically locked to prevents changes to their multipliers.
i was actually wondering if it was hardware locked. it would probably be better to increase ram, (got 1G ddr2), but i was more in it for the experience. and i figured a 7-15% increase wouldn't raise heat too much as it runs pretty cool as it is now. i've pretty much given up by now.. if i had another one i'd probably work my way to the cpu and check out the board around it for possible bridging like they did on the old G4 macs.. oh well, thanks for replying

IamKira
(#38 (permalink))
Old
TitansWrath (Offline)
New to JF

10-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamKira View Post
i was actually wondering if it was hardware locked. it would probably be better to increase ram, (got 1G ddr2), but i was more in it for the experience. and i figured a 7-15% increase wouldn't raise heat too much as it runs pretty cool as it is now. i've pretty much given up by now.. if i had another one i'd probably work my way to the cpu and check out the board around it for possible bridging like they did on the old G4 macs.. oh well, thanks for replying
Yea i was thinking that was desktop PC til i checked out what kind of computer and found out it was actually laptop. So i had to edit my reply, but I haven't tried overclocking my laptop and i didn't feel the need to do that since my laptop have core 2 duo running at 2.11 Ghz and 3 GB RAM. There's still a big difference between having 1 GB and 2GB so that's why i was suggesting more RAMs and you'd be happier. My nvidia GPU and CPU share same heatsink so whenever i play its gets warm like a hair dryer blowing out. I'm surprised that u wanted more speed out of ubuntu since it doesn't need lot of resources like windows does.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

10-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitansWrath View Post
I'm surprised that u wanted more speed out of ubuntu since it doesn't need lot of resources like windows does.
haha, i just want more speed in general (i like to take my machines auto/ comp./ whatever to their peak performance... it's a good feeling that you're making the most of what you've got), i just said it was to make ubuntu faster so i could say i was staying on topic and the mods wouldn't strike down in anger

but now i'm dual booting win 7 and ubuntu, so the boost in ram would be nice, although i rly only use windows for iphone manipulation (since for whatever reason apple doesn't like ubuntu users) ILinux

on a side note, i have my hdd partitioned as such [ ext4, 39.5GB.... |swap 1GB| ...NTSF 39.5GB....]
i have ubuntu loaded on the hdd as well as windows, but whenever i reboot my windows system (recently i ditched xp for 7) the bootloader seems to not recognize ubuntu anymore and i have to reinstall it... i'm guessing it's something w/ the windows boot where xp or 7 takes over as the primary os and overrides the ubuntu BL with it's own .. because as soon as i reinstall ubuntu it recognizes both os's on restart.. is this the case?

IamKira

Last edited by IamKira : 10-21-2009 at 08:25 PM.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
10-21-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
What's a load of bollocks is that you assume tweeking means removing I've worked with PC Management and used programs like HP Radia to tweek Operating systems and have never had a problem with Vista. It runs super smooth, looks beautiful, and walks all over XP!

I advice you take a chill pill cos you obviously had some kind of problem with Vista, so you've set yourself an agenda to hate it and diss anyone that likes Vista! Grow up!
Not really, I love Vista, but it's downright insane to say you can make Vista run faster than XP by 'tweaking'. tweaking as in your meaning won't really speed Vista to any big point, it'll just reduce the pain of Aero Glass and some other stuff but it will still be a resource hog. Now, tweaking or 'tweaked OS' in everyday use means removal of 'unneeded functionalities' and this one does make it faster but removes features.

Either way, in both cases you're so wrong.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?