JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Sangetsu (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-17-2008, 03:26 AM

I stayed at a ryoukan with an onsen last year. Access to the inn was by cable car, and the car passed over the springs, meaning that anyone riding in the car could see the people using the springs below. I got to see a few bathers, and I got to watch the cable car pass overhead while I was bathing, but it didn't bother me.

The inn where I stayed had two indoor baths, and two outdoor baths. The indoor baths are separated for male and female, while one outdoor bath rotates, you need to look at the gate to see what hours men or women are able to use it. But after 10 pm, there was no restriction, so men and women could use the bath together. The other outdoor bath was available by reservation only, and only for half-hour intervals.

Onsen etiquette is simple. When you enter, you put your clothes and such into a basket. You are given a towel and a washcloth. Most onsens require that you leave the towel in the locker area, you can only take the washcloth into the onsen with you. Near the pools you'll find faucets and stools. Some have hoses and small shower heads on them, others have just a bucket. Soap and shampoo are usually available. After thoroughly washing and rinsing yourself outside the pool, you can then climb in for a soak. You can bring your washcloth with you, but it is not permitted to touch the water. You can leave it next to the pool, or put in on the top of your head.

Good onsens have a little sulfur and other minerals in the water. It may sometimes smell a little funny, but the minerals are harmless, and they leave your skin very soft.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
06-17-2008, 03:38 AM

In the shape I am in, parading around in the buff is not top on my list of good ideas, but having thoroughly enjoyed skinny dipping in lakes and pools once in a while, an onsen has great appeal.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Kajitsu (Offline)
Is a very strange fruit.

06-17-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sangetsu View Post
You can bring your washcloth with you, but it is not permitted to touch the water. You can leave it next to the pool, or put in on the top of your head.
Knowing me, it would probably fall in anyway. I'll leave it outside, thank you for the information.

Avatar credit to Tejou from Digik Designs
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 09:24 AM

Also, don't dunk your head underwater. Very bad manners.
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Pjok (Offline)
is a 17 yr old now xD¨

Send a message via MSN to Pjok Send a message via Yahoo to Pjok
06-23-2008, 09:28 AM

I would looove Going to an Onsen, But i would have huge problem getting naked in front of everybody S; Thats what keeping me from never going to one, :P

JF Family
SØPPEL
Proud member of the Vampire Clan
Claimed by me:
Ban (Lolita23q)
My adorable family knows who they are, <33

Koaku. Koaku. I'm never gonna admit such a big fat and ugly lie and you can't make me do it no matter what you say or what you write in your sig. Sry but i'm kinda really stubborn... ^^v
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjok View Post
I would looove Going to an Onsen, But i would have huge problem getting naked in front of everybody S; Thats what keeping me from never going to one, :P
been to japan?
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

06-23-2008, 09:40 AM

Nakedness aside... I really don't understand the big deal about onsen in the first place. I mean you get home from a busy day at work and you take a bath... I can see how that can be relaxing. But I'd never go out of my way TO have a bath.

As for the naked thing? Well I suppose it might be a bit awkward at first.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Nakedness aside... I really don't understand the big deal about onsen in the first place. I mean you get home from a busy day at work and you take a bath... I can see how that can be relaxing. But I'd never go out of my way TO have a bath.

As for the naked thing? Well I suppose it might be a bit awkward at first.
Just another cultural thing to experience when in another country. But then, you might find you like it because the atmosphere is cool and the water, geothermal heat and minerals, feels good. similar to visiting a shrine or temple, the architecture and history is sometimes interesting.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Pjok (Offline)
is a 17 yr old now xD¨

Send a message via MSN to Pjok Send a message via Yahoo to Pjok
06-23-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
been to japan?
Never, But going to some day,

JF Family
SØPPEL
Proud member of the Vampire Clan
Claimed by me:
Ban (Lolita23q)
My adorable family knows who they are, <33

Koaku. Koaku. I'm never gonna admit such a big fat and ugly lie and you can't make me do it no matter what you say or what you write in your sig. Sry but i'm kinda really stubborn... ^^v
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

06-25-2008, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Just another cultural thing to experience when in another country. But then, you might find you like it because the atmosphere is cool and the water, geothermal heat and minerals, feels good. similar to visiting a shrine or temple, the architecture and history is sometimes interesting.
Fair enough. It will definitely be something I try at least once I suppose.