JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
06-09-2009, 08:29 PM

She doesn't think herself to be a great writer. Other people think of her that way. These are her first books. Just give her a break.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YukisUke View Post
You go to hell for messing up my comment!!
I'm posting from there.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#43 (permalink))
Old
YukisUke (Offline)
Konichiwa, bitches

Send a message via AIM to YukisUke Send a message via Yahoo to YukisUke
06-09-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
I'm posting from there.
May you burn in the deepest pits!! LMFAO!
(#44 (permalink))
Old
MageYuri387 (Offline)
Is Part Vampire

06-10-2009, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PockyMePink View Post
I've never met a sane fan in my life.

If one is not obsessing about how "HAWT" the male characters are, then they aren't fans of the book (cause really, what else is in the book to is there to obsess over, or even LIKE? There is no story, no plot, no conflicts, no character develops to enjoy, all the characters are flat and never change. What else can they enjoy other then their image of the perfect attractive vampire stalking an average human?)
*raises hand* Sane fan in this direction.

I don't obsess about how "HAWT" the male characters are. Those who do only that, I don't consider real fans at all. They're just fake fans who go along with the flow because that's what's "in" right now. The ones who also start to fight with anti-Twilighters are also not Twilighters.

Let me tell you about real Twilighters. They don't just talk about the male characters. They talk about the book, they talk about the movie, and they certainly talk about the characters that don't know the existence of the vampires. Twilighters are also okay with anti-Twilighters and are open-minded about things like this because we know that not everyone can be into the same thing.
~C ya

Never Take 'I love you', lightly.

Two minds, One Body
~Yuugi and Atemu~

A STEPHENIE MEYER FAN AND ANIME FAN
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Marichan (Offline)
New to JF

06-10-2009, 05:54 AM

I've read two books of the series. The first one was okayish, the second was just bad. One of my friends is a big fan and she told me to read the rest of 'em too, but I heard they get even worse than New Moon >__< I don't want to ruin my impression, because Twilight had something captivating in it. When I think about it now, I don't understand what that was though The book is full of logic mistakes and the author always uses the same adjectives etc..
(#46 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2009, 08:08 AM

The book is a piece of fiction, drawing from myths - which are also fiction.

I have not read the book, nor do I feel any particular desire to. But fiction is fiction. It`s not quite the same as comparing a book and movie. One is not an adaptation of another.

It`s silly to bash something because it draws from some traditional source yet changes something. Both the source and the result are fictional. An author should be free to receive inspiration from wherever they please. Just as a reader should be free to like or dislike the end product.

Seriously though, to judge an book/movie based upon the simple fact that they didn`t follow some traditional formula to the letter makes me laugh. Especially when it is such a common thing to do - drawing from traditional myths and changing things is one of the more common themes in literature.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

06-10-2009, 08:33 AM

Thank you Nyoronin... I was about to say the exact same thing... Even to the fact about not having a desire to read the books. lol!

But yeah, this kind of thing happens all the time... Some of my favourite books of all time are edited versions of a traditions tale/myth/legend or whatever.
(#48 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
06-10-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
The book is a piece of fiction, drawing from myths - which are also fiction.

I have not read the book, nor do I feel any particular desire to. But fiction is fiction. It`s not quite the same as comparing a book and movie. One is not an adaptation of another.

It`s silly to bash something because it draws from some traditional source yet changes something. Both the source and the result are fictional. An author should be free to receive inspiration from wherever they please. Just as a reader should be free to like or dislike the end product.

Seriously though, to judge an book/movie based upon the simple fact that they didn`t follow some traditional formula to the letter makes me laugh. Especially when it is such a common thing to do - drawing from traditional myths and changing things is one of the more common themes in literature.
If you'd read it better, I said that Twilight was messing with today's generation head with this new vampire crap. A mythology is meant to remain as it is, not to be changed by a person just because she uses it with a shitty love story.

Leave aside vampires, if someone made a movie with greek mythology, screwed it up and it was so popular to screw up all today's generation minds that everybody learns it as it is in the movie.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
06-10-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
If you'd read it better, I said that Twilight was messing with today's generation head with this new vampire crap. A mythology is meant to remain as it is, not to be changed by a person just because she uses it with a shitty love story.

Leave aside vampires, if someone made a movie with greek mythology, screwed it up and it was so popular to screw up all today's generation minds that everybody learns it as it is in the movie.
If someone gains an interest in the myth rather than simply the book / movie - then I am pretty sure they are going to look into it a bit more. I think it`s been made pretty clear with the vampire boom that those who gain interest via a certain piece of media do not stop there and do not totally form their knowledge off of that small first encounter.

I will agree with what you are saying if suddenly all the books out there about or featuring vampires / werewolves suddenly change to fit this new "version". But that isn`t going to happen.

Vampire and werewolf myths are being changed bit by bit every generation. If you go far enough back, "vampires" were little different from the modern image of a zombie. At exactly what point was this myth the "right version" in your eyes? The very early half rotting corpses rising to linger around the houses of relatives? The Victorian total remake? 20th century movie versions?

Folklore is something that is constantly changing - it always has been and likely always will be.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

06-10-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
If someone gains an interest in the myth rather than simply the book / movie - then I am pretty sure they are going to look into it a bit more. I think it`s been made pretty clear with the vampire boom that those who gain interest via a certain piece of media do not stop there and do not totally form their knowledge off of that small first encounter.
Have you met a Twilight insane fan? They think vampires love humans and sparkle when exposed to light... let alone draining animal's blood o_o

Vampires are meant to care about their own bloodline, humans are just means for survival to them. And I stick to the original myth, no Dracula and these new inventions. But at least Dracula was very close to the myth, not make everything different.

The only similar thing with Twilight's vampires are the teeth, because the rest is not so vampire. She made like a new creature to suit her story and make it look good but called them vampires because kids think vampires are cool.

Quote: