JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#141 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 03:23 PM

Well, given that America had its pretext in Pearl Harbour, it was the corollary. Still, it was a step that was only made possible by Pearl Harbour which was a major deception. Roosevelt had friends in very high places, i.e bankers, and he tricked the American public into believing that it was necessary. Just like Vietnam and almost any other war you care to mention with US involvement, it was for the benefit of the global elite and arms firms. Nuking a largely innocent group of people should never be justified, esp when it's only to generate profits for the few.
(#142 (permalink))
Old
seiki (Offline)
aww fiegal

08-07-2009, 03:28 PM

The point is japan did not have to attack. They were under stress from embargoes but that is like saying that if your are 7 and someone takes your toy it is okay to go and hit them. It is not ok to attack someone when they did no violent acts towards you. The u.s. was justified it the bombing because it was attacked by japan even if it was a provoked attack.
(#143 (permalink))
Old
Shikan (Offline)
New to JF

08-07-2009, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
The point is japan did not have to attack. They were under stress from embargoes but that is like saying that if your are 7 and someone takes your toy it is okay to go and hit them. It is not ok to attack someone when they did no violent acts towards you. The u.s. was justified it the bombing because it was attacked by japan even if it was a provoked attack.
I like your analogy about the 7-year old, but let's take it a little further to cover the entire scenario. You take the child's toy, the child comes over and hits you pretty hard (say, in the crotch), so you rip his arms off just to see him squirm. That sounds more accurate to me.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Gandhi

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
"
-Rudyard Kipling
(#144 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-07-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiki View Post
What a terrible analogy and a gross misunderstanding of... well... the world.

For that analogy to even be close to being correct, the person who took the 7 year olds toy would have to be another 7 year old. So who is in the wrong now?
(#145 (permalink))
Old
Shikan (Offline)
New to JF

08-07-2009, 04:09 PM

I just visited the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Park and Museum yesterday and learned quite a lot about the facts. I encourage anyone else interested in the morale ethics behind the topic of this thread to research the history before making any conclusions... or better yet, don't make any conclusions at all since history cannot be changed.

The question of dropping the bomb was not a two-sided coin. The U.S. may very well have received Japan's surrender and not had to force it had we issued a statement ensuring the continuation of the Imperial system (something that was known to be a top priority for Japan at the time). The U.S. seemingly dodged around including this particular detail in any official documents demanding surrender.

Japan was severely weakened by the war by the summer of 1945 and the added pressure from Russia when it would have entered war against Japan in mid-August of 1945 most likely would have brought about a less bloody end to the war, if not Japan's surrender to Russia under fairly more favorable circumstances.

The U.S. was concerned, however, that this would increase the influence of Russia in the post-war era. The cold war was looming as the top powers had been developing nuclear weapons and the U.S. hoped to enter as top dog.

Finally, there is the question of the $2 billion government program to create the atomic bomb. If the bomb wasn't used to end the war, what would have been the point to spending all of those taxpayer dollars?

The question of lives lost in an homeland invasion is pure speculation and the numbers were inflated to appease the media. Truman himself received an estimate from his military officials saying that a homeland invasion would cost significantly less casualties than what everyone has been saying since. Official documentation of these estimates are no longer top secret. You can see them for yourself if you look.

I hope this sparked your interest in looking more into the topic.

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Gandhi

"If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
"
-Rudyard Kipling
(#146 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 08-07-2009, 05:28 PM

USSR invaded Japan both on the Mainland (China) and Japan home islands -The Soviets declared war on Japan again in August 8, 1945... 2 days after the first atomic bomb was dropped.

Over 740,000 Japanese Occupation Forces and civilians were killed during USSR invasion which took part -mainly on mainland China.
In Japan home islands located in what is today known as the northern territories the USSR invaded and occupied and still owns some of these islands.

The result in the aftermath of WW2, Japan officially renounced title to Sakhalin and most of the ..... regarding the disputed islands, ..... Japan's Northern Territories.
(#147 (permalink))
Old
Barone1551 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 05:35 PM

Yes I agree, if anyone is able to go to the Hiroshima peace museum they should. However I did find it a bit one sided, but not completely. But it does offer a ton of knowledge and facts. It also shows some of the horrible things that happened using models and pics. Its a much different feel actually being in the museum and also being only blocks away from the epicenter of the bomb. Its an eerie feeling, and cant compare to anything you look at over the internet. Now if you like this type of museum I would highly recommend the Kyoto peace museum it takes a very neutral approach. And didn't only focus on the dropping of the atomic bomb.

As far as everyone arguing if it was necessary continue to do so, everyone is entitled to their opinion. So I will give mine. It is always easier after the fact to debate whether of not you should or shouldn't have done something. Just like our current war. But in this case, during WWII its hard to say who was right and who was wrong. Especially back then. Back then both sides thought they were right. This is always the case during a war, each side believes they are correct. Thats the reason why they are in a war. You can argue all you want but it will not make the bomb un-drop. So there is no real sense in hating someone who had nothing to do with what happened during WWII.

The King wore a crown. Now he is the king of kings.
(#148 (permalink))
Old
Seanus (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Shikan, what a senseless thing to say. There are many wastes of taxpayers' money. What on earth got into you when you said that it should have been dropped due to the high level of investment in it?? The government doesn't give a jot about taxpayers' money and that's a TERRIBLE reason to destroy life.

The Hiroshima museum is chilling but I loved sitting in the Peace Park. I have many good photos from there.
(#149 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-07-2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanus View Post
Well, given that America had its pretext in Pearl Harbour, it was the corollary. Still, it was a step that was only made possible by Pearl Harbour which was a major deception. Roosevelt had friends in very high places, i.e bankers, and he tricked the American public into believing that it was necessary. Just like Vietnam and almost any other war you care to mention with US involvement, it was for the benefit of the global elite and arms firms. Nuking a largely innocent group of people should never be justified, esp when it's only to generate profits for the few.
I love your thinking. The real rulers of USA are not from the White House. They're from the FED who control the fiat currency called the US Dollars.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#150 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

08-07-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikan View Post
Truman himself received an estimate from his military officials saying that a homeland invasion would cost significantly less casualties than what everyone has been saying since. Official documentation of these estimates are no longer top secret. You can see them for yourself if you look.
That's because the several series of successful firebombing already weakened the Home Island Defense system long time ago.

People still believe that there will be a huge causalities of American soldiers when they invade mainland Japan? My goodness. Also, lot of people don't know that there was a significantly inefficient administration of the military-led government on the Japanese side right after the Battle of Midway.

Sorry to say, not many people know what in the world was going on in the Japanese military circle vis-a-vis American military-political complex at that time.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.